Zaxby’s Charity Tip-Off Tournament

With the holiday season rapidly approaching, the hustle and bustle of decorating trees, planning parties, and buying gifts are at the top of everyone’s list. The Mississippi College Women’s Basketball Team has focused on another effort that is geared toward helping those in need.

The Lady Choctaw basketball team has partnered with Zaxby’s of Clinton to host a charity tip-off tournament benefiting the Salvation Army on Friday, Nov. 22 and Saturday, Nov. 23. The charity event will kick off the women’s basketball 2013-2014 regular season and will be held at A.E. Wood Coliseum. Cost of admission is $5 for the public and $3 for MC students who show their ID.

All proceeds from the weekend-long event will go to the Salvation Army, which MC Women’s Basketball Head Coach Paul Duke said is a wonderful way for the great game of basketball to give back to those less fortunate. Charity events like this are the perfect opportunity to donate proceeds that will, in turn, provide for others, and as Duke said, “there’s nothing better than giving.”

Profits from the tip-off tournament include those from corporate members in the surrounding area who bought blocks of tickets for the event. Duke said that he is excited by how supportive people in the community as well as MC faculty and students have been in preparation for this charity tournament.

Coach Duke explained that Bill and Judy McGeary, owners of Zaxby’s in Clinton, are, “big supporters of the team.” He went on to express how grateful the Lady Choctaw basketball team is to have the opportunity to partner with them for this tournament.

Olivia Mabry, a freshman on the team, said that she and the other players are “really excited about the tournament because it’s such an awesome way for us to give back.” Mabry said she hopes that by working together and growing as a team, the girls will be able to raise a sufficient amount of money for the Salvation Army.

Coach Duke said he believed the best part of the tournament was that the players are able to do something they are passionate about while raising funds for those in need. Mabry echoed the same idea, as she said, “it’s awesome when I get to give back just by doing something that I love.”

Duke explained that there will be fun activities for children and parents to participate in during the tournament as well as concessions provided by Zaxby’s of Clinton, in which all proceeds will go to the Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army is a Christian international charitable and religious organization with ministries such as prison ministries, elderly services, hunger relief, homeless services, and emergency disaster services. Coach Duke emphasized that the team feels blessed to have the opportunity to attend MC and to be able to give back through the Zaxby’s Charity Tip-Off Tournament.

On Friday at 5:30 p.m., Centenary College will be playing Rust College, and at 7:30 p.m., Mississippi College will take on LaGrange College. The games on Saturday will begin at 1:00 p.m. with Centenary playing LaGrange. At 3:30 p.m., MC will be up against Rust.

- Katie Rogers, Copy Editor

About these ads