A New Addition to the Brick Streets

Photo by Abby Jo Thompson
Photo by Abby Jo Thompson

A truly unique dining experience has opened on the Brick Streets of downtown Clinton. The outside looks like a quaint store shop from a small southern town long ago, but inside the restaurant has a rustic atmosphere like a fish camp with a down home feel.

Named after its address and historic building, 303 Jefferson officially opened in July. The recently renovated building was a welcomed addition to Clinton. The staff is looking forward to serving the clubs, tribes, student organizations, and faculty of Mississippi College, and after presenting a school ID students and faculty are able to get a 10 percent discount.

Open for lunch Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., 303 Jefferson specializes in Southern blue-plate specials with a creole touch. Three different choices are served everyday with fresh baked cornbread or yeast roll and tea.

Also available for lunch are soups, appetizers, salads, and sandwiches. Since they opened, 303 Jefferson has had very busy lunch days and some items so popular they sell out before lunch is over.

Tim Parkman, Raymond Jackson, and Preston Grace – the owners of 303 Jefferson – started work on the restaurant less than a year ago. When asked why they choose this particular location for their restaurant Jackson called it “a fate of circumstance.”

Last year Jackson and his wife moved to Madison for her job. Soon after, Jackson and Parkman heard from a mutual friend that told them about the old building for sale at 303 Jefferson.

“We had to do tons of remodeling and it has taken a lot of work to get it up to code, ” Jackson said.

Also serving as the operational manager and chef at 303 Jefferson, Jackson has been in the food service industry for over 30 years and received his culinary training at Delgotta College in New Orleans.

Timothy Clark, an MC student who works in the bookstore, said, “The food is excellent. I like that the menu changes every day. There is good variety. The wait staff seemed very friendly and attentive. For the style of the food, it seems like decent prices.”

Clark said he likes the look of the restaurant and the “rough uncut atmosphere,” but that it would be nice to have a little more seating inside the restaurant and outside on the patio.

Leisha Nesmith, a senior majoring in Mass Media and Spanish, recently sat down and tried the food at 303 Jefferson.

“It’s the perfect place for me. It’s great for students who are far from home (like me) and miss a good, home-cooked, Southern meal. The plates consist of stuff that everyone is familiar with, but they have their own unique flavor.

“I had the chicken spaghetti and it was honestly the best I’ve ever had. It’s a great addition to the brick streets and it’s nice to walk in and see familiar faces.”

Jackson hopes customers on their lunch break will enjoy the atmosphere and “good food and good service as quick and painless as possible.”

For more information about 303 Jefferson, their menu can be found on their website www.303-jefferson.com and can be found on Facebook and Twitter.

– James Osborne, Contributing Writer