National News: Traveling to the USA? Think Carefully

A senseless murder was committed, and what was the excuse given? Boredom.

Last week, three teenagers James Edwards, 15, Chancey Luna, 16, and Michael Jones, 17, drove up behind Chris Lane, an Australian baseball player, and killed him while he was out on his regular running route.

Lane was a 23-year-old baseball player who was living his dream in the United States on a baseball scholarship at East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma.0b7a285a0159fb1c3a0f6a706700a3cb

Lane who went to Duncan, Okla., to visit his girlfriend for the weekend, decided to go for a run on his regular route through the affluent part of the town.

Around 3 p.m. local time, the three teenagers pulled up behind him, and Chancey Luna, 16, who was in the back seat, allegedly shot lane in the back with a .22 caliber revolver, which has yet to be recovered.

“We were bored,” Luna reportedly admitted to the authorities.

Edwards and Luna are charged with first-degree murder, while Jones faces accessory charges. In a video Edwards apparently posted on the Vine video-sharing application, the teen can be seen holding a rifle and using profanity.

“(Expletive) we up dem poles,” Edwards says in the video, pointing the rifle at the camera. “(Expletive) with me.”

Edwards and Luna face life in prison without the possibility of parole if they’re convicted. The teens will be tried as adults. Jones, who is considered a youthful offender but will be tried in adult court, faces anywhere from two years to life in prison.

Not surprising, the killing has not only been the topic of much conversation in the United States, but also in Australia where many are angry and saddened by the news.

As a result, some are thinking twice about coming to the United States, or sending their children for study.

A reporter for Sky News Australia, Ahron Young, said, “We’ve all heard about gun violence in America, but this has really brought it home to us here.”

“There is deep seated anger this time and I can tell you there is disbelief,” said Tim Fischer, who is considered the champion of Australia’s Gun Control reforms, and is the former Deputy Prime Minister of Australia.

Fischer disagrees with the laws in the US pertaining to gun control, and with ire dripping on every word, warns all Australians thinking of visiting the US to “think carefully.”

For information and to stay updated on this story, go to http://storify.com/jafoole/traveling-to-the-us-think-carefully

– Simon Babba, Contributing Writer