A Few Thoughts on My Week in Nepal

Nepal with KiranThis past week, I have had the privilege of being able to serve on a mission team in Kathmandu, Nepal and surrounding areas with old and new friends. It has truly been a blessed week, and I have been grateful to be able to be a part of this team.

I wanted to take some time to reflect on a few things from this week. The trip has been essentially a purely evangelistic one, in which we partnered with local believers to share the gospel with people who live in or around Kathmandu.

The local believers follow up with the people by continuing to share the gospel with the lost and discipline the ones who professed faith in Christ and getting them involved with the local church.

Hinduism is by far the largest religion here, with Buddhism as the second largest. Christianity in Nepal is a very small percentage, but thankfully, God is growing His church rapidly in Nepal.

Having the privilege to be a part of this has brought a few things to mind. One is that while in missions, we hope and long that we will see the lost saved, and our primary focus has to be the glory of God.

The work of missions is about the glory of God and the fame of His Name, and it is about the salvation of the lost, but we must not reverse that order.

God deserves to be glorified by all men everywhere. We should lose sleep over the fact that people are lost and dead in sin, but we should lose even more sleep over the fact that God is not praised and honored, as He deserves to be praised and honored.

As John Piper has said so famously in his book, “Let the Nations Be Glad!”: “Missions is not the ultimate goal of the church. Worship is. Missions exist because worship doesn’t.”[1]

Do not get me wrong. We should be heartbroken that so many people are lost and on the road to destruction. It should bring us to tears. But we should be more heartbroken over the fact that God is not being worshipped by every man, woman, and child on this earth.

A second thing that comes to mind is the devastating hopelessness of a works-based religion. So many are seeking hope in the idea that their own works will bring them to God. There is no hope in this. There is hope in the finished work of the risen Christ.

The hope that Christianity offers what no other religion offers is a salvation based on what someone else has done. We have hope in our substitute, who lived a life of perfect obedience and died bearing the sin of His people and God’s curse in our place. We are credited with His righteousness when we believe.

The main difference between Christianity and other religions is not that we do not need righteousness; it is that we do need a perfect righteousness that is not our own, but that perfect righteousness is given to us when we believe upon Christ.

All other religions tell people to produce a righteousness of their own, while Christianity finds its hope in an alien righteousness that is imputed to believers when they believe.

I have seen firsthand this week that Dr. R.C. Sproul is correct when he says that there are only two religions: Christianity and Pelagianism.

Nepal landscape

Third, it brings to mind that God is sovereign in salvation, and He works in the power of the gospel. If God were not absolutely sovereign then we would have absolutely no hope in our evangelism.

All men are by nature opposed to God, but God has chosen a people for Himself and sent His Son to be the Redeemer of that people, and the Holy Spirit regenerates that people and makes men who are dead in sin live.

Our confidence cannot be in evangelistic methods or in how clever we can be, but it must be in the God who is powerful and sovereign over all things.

Amazing things have occurred this week. Many have professed faith in Christ. Many have expressed interest in Christianity. Some heard the Name of Jesus for the first time.

Still Nepal is a very dark place, but there is hope in and only in the Triune God of Scripture.

I have been truly blessed and encouraged by the local believers in Nepal and would ask you to join me in praying for them. I

have also been blessed by every member of our team and ask that you would join me in praying for them as well.

James Ritchey, Contributing Writer

[1] Piper, John, Let the Nations be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions,” (Grand Rapids, Baker Academic, 2010), 15.