A Rushee’s Guide to MC Clubs and Tribes

As freshmen and transfers acclimate to life at Mississippi College and returning students settle into new classes, it is the time of the year that everyone looks forward to: rush.

With events like Rush Fair and the After Party behind us, most students are probably already starting to get an idea of what each club and tribe about.

If not, there are plenty more rush events to attend, and looking at the unique aspects of each group is vital to deciding which tribe or club to pledge.

Clubs

Shawreth Men’s Club is a brotherhood with hearts and minds united to serve and glorify Christ. Founded in 1998, the Shawreth Order of MC has and continues to strive for excellence in every aspect of college life: spiritually, socially, and academically. A Hebrew word that means servant, minister, and worshipper, the name Shawreth certainly describes the way its members aim to live.

President Lee McCarty explained that Shawreth has a cap of 65 members in order to create a stronger brotherhood, and he claimed that he has grown immensely during his time in the club.

Circle K was established in 1953 and seeks to provide an environment in which men can be inspired to seek the best in their chosen lines of study as well as in life, so that they may have a satisfying and useful role in society.

This brotherhood strives to maintain and create a strong, close-knit community, honoring tradition, actively pursuing service to humanity, and promoting academic excellence. Steven Burton, president of Circle K, says, “The memories that I have formed while in Circle K these past few years will last a lifetime.”

Cole Angel, president of Kokoa Men’s Club, said that his brotherhood is a friend group first and a club second. The newest group on campus, Kokoa was founded in fall 2012, and these men sport colors purple and grey as well as their mascot, the batman.

This will be Kokoa’s first year of rush, and the guys are actively looking forward to participating in campus social life. Dr. Terry Dent is the sponsor for Kokoa, and they are thrilled to have his leadership and support in their brotherhood.

Civitan Men’s Club is a branch of the Civitan International Service Organization and has had a presence on the campus of MC since 1949. Since then, Civitan has worked to maintain the ideals of service, brotherhood, and character.

The goal of this group of men is to be of good character and hold themselves to a Christ-like standard.

President Cameron Treadwell said that the best aspect of Civitan if the brotherhood that the guys share, and he emphasizes the importance of being involved in campus life through clubs and tribes but also in other areas of life at Mississippi College.

Tribes

Kissimmee Social Tribe was the first women’s service tribe on campus, as it was founded in 1952. With the pink carnation as the flower, this tribe reflects their motto, “to be beautiful rather than seem beautiful.”

The purpose of KT is to create a bond of loyal sisterhood through the encouragement of Christian fellowship and spiritual growth, while also encouraging social and character development by participating in school activities and service to our community.

KT is filled with individuals who are “genuine, silly people that have helped me grow in my walk with Christ and are always available if needed,” the President of KT, Renee Hood, said.

Particular features that make Kissimmee unique are its elephant as mascot, colors pink and silver, maltese cross for their symbol, and bible verse being 1 Peter 3: 3-4.

Laguna Social Tribe was founded in 1954. Their colors are yellow and blue, jewel is a pearl, and mascot is a mouse. Laguna’s purpose is to build a spirit of sisterhood within by encouraging service and providing opportunities for social and spiritual growth. Romans 15:5-6 is the bible verse of Laguna Social Tribe.

Shelby Blank, president, expresses how Laguna has “such an upbeat atmosphere,” as she says, “Not one girl is like another, which keeps us all on our toes!”

Blank also said that the girls in Laguna “can be loud and fun when the time calls,” while also serving one another at the same time.

Mrs. Carol Joy Sparkman is sponsor for the ladies of Laguna Social Tribe, and the motto is “through our diversity, we find our personality.”

Swannanoa Social Tribe exists to create and nurture a sisterhood that seeks to serve Christ, each other, and the community as well as encourage academic, social, and spiritual growth. ST’s flower is the white Gerber daisy, and they actually have two mascots: the own and the bunny.

Philippians 2:2 stands as the verse for this group, and green and white are the colors.

“For me, Swannanoa was my first and most life-changing experience with true biblical sisterhood, rooted in Christ, established in love, and faithful in all things,” said President Whitney Ratcliff.

These sisters live by the creed, which is, “to serve rather than to be served.”

Nenamoosha Social Tribe was founded in 1954, and the word Nenamoosha means “sweetheart” in Indian dialect, which is perfect for their colors red and white as well as their symbol, the heart.

Michelle Ladner, NT’s president, explained that it was the “love, investment, compassion, and servant’s heart” that sold this tribe for her. With the mascot of a bear and flower being the red rose, the love in NT is clearly shown.

The purpose statement is for Nenamoosha to seek to develop personal relationships to form the links in its bond of sisterhood and positive attitude reflected in words and actions. 1 Corinthians 13 is the bible verse for the tribe, and their jewel is the pearl.

As Ladner said, “It’s so beautiful to see how NT has shaped so many of us into Godly young women and strong leaders of this campus and community.”

Learning the purpose and value of each tribe and club is vital to deciding which one to pledge. The following weeks are some of the most exciting times for many college students, and figuring out which group to join is just the beginning of the thrilling journey of becoming a member of a club or tribe.

Katie Rogers, Copy Editor