Mississippi College International Student Orientation

IMG_3301Mississippi College has students coming each semester from different countries all over the world. The Office of Global Education has been working hard to help these students as they arrive at MC to continue their education.

Around 55 new international students have come to MC this semester. Most of the new students are from China, India and Saudi Arabia; however, there are also students from other countries, such as Spain, Korea, and Brazil.

The Office of Global Education hosted an orientation to welcome the new international students on Monday, Aug. 26, in the Multi-Cultural Center, where approximately 50 new students attended.

The orientation took two hours, as Jenny Price, International Student Advisor, and other Office of Global Education staff covered various topics related to studying as an international student at MC.

“We go over lots of important information and immigration issues,” Jenny said. The orientation guided the new international students in how to maintain their F-1 student status, assimilate into life at Mississippi College, and obtain their driver’s licenses.

Students were also informed that they could work on campus and should take their course work slowly.

Another thing that was mentioned was the importance of international students keeping their passports and I-20s updated and on them at all times. In addition, the students were also told they need to update their information in the Office of Global Education each semester.

Besides immigration issues and schoolwork, the staff also informed students about their health insurance and ways to get involved on campus.

The last thing they suggested to the new students was for them to get involved with the Host Family Program. In the Host Family Program, students are paired with an American family that agrees to host them for holidays and invite them over for dinner.

At the end of the orientation, everyone had lunch together, which was prepared by the Office of Global Education.

GuangYao Cao, a computer science major from XiaMen, China, came to Mississippi College because he heard about it from his friend. He expressed that the orientation really helped him.

“The orientation let me know more information about Mississippi College, and it also helped me understand some important things about studying.”

He considered the orientation a beneficial activity for international students when they do not have any experience with American culture. Cao said that he was also able to tour MC’s campus with American students, which he found to be an entertaining experience.

XuYang Mai, a marketing major from GuangZhou, China, said, “Through this orientation, I met some of our teachers and classmates. It is good for us to understand each one and make friends.”

After lunch, American students took different groups of international students to tour campus, which was very helpful for new students to get to know more about Mississippi College.IMG_3414

“I think the orientation offers specific information to us. It is really helping us before we start to get into a life of study at Mississippi College.” Mai said.

The whole orientation was successful, both the main sessions and minor details. The Office of Global Education will always work to help international students as they study at Mississippi College.

XiaoXian Ni, Contributing Writer