MC Remembers Ashley Greenway

Ashley Greenway_2Last week Mississippi College mourned the death of  20-year-old Ashley Greenway, a student athlete and junior pre-nursing major. Greenway died at the Central Mississippi Medical Center emergency room after being rushed by ambulance soon after becoming ill in her residence hall room Wednesday afternoon. However, she never responded to treatment.

Before attending MC, Greenway graduated from Southaven High School with honors, where she had been MVP in girls Softball and soccer her senior year and All-Conference and Metro Softball.

She also was team captain of her soccer team her senior year at Southaven High School. Greenway was also awarded Best Offense Softball 2011 and Best of the preps selection 2011 as well as playing in the All-Star Game during high school.

Greenway played on both the soccer and softball team for the Choctaws and was also a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Ashley was a two-year player on both teams at MC. She played in 74 softball games, starting 63 over her career. Greenway had a career batting average of .283 with three doubles, one triple and 19 RBI. In 2013, she hit .279 and finished the season with 11 stolen bases.

She had recently submitted her application into nursing school at MC and explained her interest in joining the profession.

Greenway mentioned she was “raised in a family where everyone had some type of job in the medical field, particularly occupations that saved lives,” said School of Nursing Dean Mary Jean Padgett.

In her essay, Ashley wrote “I feel I am destined to continue the family name in the medical field – I love helping people and changing lives.”

Reminiscing their friendship, fellow team mate and friend Nikki Rhea said, “College truly changes you, I thank God for allowing me to witness your growth in the Lord and then baptism. You are such an inspiration and such a selfless person. You cared for others more than yourself.

“You encouraged me so much through everything and truly understood me. I keep thanking God for our friendship, laughs and smiles,” Rhea added.
Presently, the cause of Ashley’s death is unknown; however, an autopsy is being performed.

Greenway’s stepfather, Arthur Cooper, said on Facebook, “We Appreciate all the good things that everyone has said about our Ashley. Many things have been said as to what happened. Truth is, no one knows right now, so I ask that people not make assumptions.”

Sunday a funeral service was held for Greenway at Memphis Funeral Home and Memorial Gardens; however MC administration plans on holding a memorial in her honor later this month. Ashley Greenway_1

She was preceded in death by her father Daron J. Greenway, her grandmother June Greenway and her grandfather Mark Katz. She is survived by her parents Arthur and Cynthia Cooper, one sister Amber (Matt) Montgomery of Conway, Ark.

One step sister Bailey Cooper, Southaven, Miss., two step-brothers Finley Cooper of Southaven Miss. and Ron James of Memphis, Tenn.

She is also is survived by grandmothers, Freddie Ussery of Ridgeland, Miss. and Suzette Katz of Memphis, Tenn. She will be greatly missed by her loving Chihuahua, “Little Bit”.

Kelsey Kitch, Editor