Arts & Entertainment

Review of “The 10 Best Decisions a Single Can Make”

Recently I read the book The 10 Best Decisions a Single can Make. The book is written by Bill and Pam Farrel, the co-founders and co-directors of Farrel Communications and Masterful Living, and writers of other books such as Men Are Like Waffles-Women are Like Spaghetti, The 10 Best Decisions Every Parent Can Make, The 10 Best Decisions a Man can Make, The 10 Best Decisions a Woman Can Make, The 10 Best Decisions a Couple Can Make, and more.

They are also regular relationship columnists. I was not expecting much from the book, so I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed reading the book. I was surprised that the book is not about dating at all really.

The ten decisions they say a single can make are important for anyone, single or in a relationship and especially important for young adults making a foundation for their future.

The 10 decisions are Decide to be Decisive, Decide to Walk with Jesus, Decide to Celebrate, Decide to Live in Peace, Decide to Wait, Decide to Define Relationships, Decide to Live the Good Life, Decide to Be an Influencer, Decide to be a Communicator, and Decide to Be a Competitor.

The book is simple and an easy read but with basic lessons that everyone should learn. Being decisive is a lost art, and I am glad they brought out that first point. That is one of my big pet peeves that I notice some family and friends and myself at times have a problem with.

The ability to make decisions is vitally important. To most of life’s important questions, there are no right or wrong answers.

“We make our choices and our choices make us. Your life is filled with questions only you can answer,” wrote the authors.

I understand why they chose that order, but personally I feel that deciding to walk with Christ should be number one. Because once you make that decision to consciously follow God, that influences every decision you make. To me, this is the most important decision of all.

Most of the book does not even go into romantic relationships but tells the message that it is best to understand and know who you are, know and develop your talents, and seek to develop your talents to be the best you can be.

This is important for no matter what stage of life you are in but especially important for before you commit yourself to a mature and lasting relationship.

To me, it was a good read but could have been better. It was a very simple and quick read. There were good personality tests to take, but the book was a bit too simplistic, and I think it should have gone into deeper territory. But overall, it is a good book.

James Osborne, Contributing Writer