The MRS Degree

IMG_3809Mississippi College’s MRS Degree program has just received exceptional ratings due to the large amount of males in this fall’s freshman class. In years past, the girl to guy ratio has not been very helpful for those of us working on our MRS Degree, so with the large number of guys arriving on campus, the MRS Department is booming.

I am sure there are many of you that do not know what an MRS Degree is, and I am sure there are some of you that do not think it is legitimate or important. I am here to tell those people that they are very wrong. An MRS Degree is super important in the lives of many girls like me.

Now for those of you who do not know what an MRS Degree is, I will explain it: an MRS Degree is a term females (usually enrolled in a university) use to describe their husband-searching process.

All of us in the MRS Degree program are on a one-way train to marriage and ultimately a career as a housewife. Although MC requires us to choose a major, some of us hope to receive that diamond diploma along with a Mississippi College diploma.

A diamond diploma refers to an engagement ring, obviously. Most of us hope to have our “ring by spring,” which is a popular phrase on MC’s campus.

The MC dream is thought to be dating, getting engaged the spring semester of senior year, and finally sealing the deal right here with a wedding in Provine Chapel, with a reception to follow in Jennings Courtyard.

Once we receive our diamond diploma, we hope to spend the rest of our lives cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the children.

I value education and think it is important to receive a degree, but I do put an importance on the MRS portion of my degree. We use the model wife of the fifties era as our role model; think of Lucy from the popular TV show I Love Lucy for an example.

It may seem that an MRS Degree does not require any work, but that is where you are wrong, my friend. An MRS Degree requires learning many tasks outside of the classroom.

Becoming an excellent cook is one of the most important elements of the MRS Degree. We all know how much men like to eat, so becoming skilled in this area is vital. Cleaning and organizing are two important skills to master because a clean home is a happy home.

Obviously, it is hard to learn these processes while living in a dorm, but if you are dedicated to your studies, you can become skilled in all of these areas.

Some people do not take the career of housewife seriously. C.S. Lewis says it perfectly, “The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only-and that is to support the ultimate career.”

So if any of you ever begin to doubt the validity or importance of a career as a homemaker, just remember that quote. Best of luck to all of my fellow classmates in the MRS Degree program; I hope you all achieve the MC Dream.

Joy Waller, Contributing Writer