Why Star 93.5 Should Branch Out

IMG_3810I hate the radio. I do not dislike country music stations, hip stations, pop stations, or classic rock stations. Generally, I have a firm, deep-seeded disdain for them all. I do not hate them because I hate music, but rather I hate them because they play crappy music.

I am a music lover. I am not a person who professes to be one who “just listens to everything.” You can listen to a variety of music and still have integrity, but you cannot listen to everything and proclaim to measure it equally.

“Music snob” might be a more appropriate title. I do not claim the title due to expertise in music theory, but in saying that I ask a lot of music.

Because I have an appreciation for music, for the potential it has to move me, to speak to me in an emotional and spiritual way, I hate the radio. Music that has power, that has substance and depth, still exists in practically every genre.

However, I found that the popular radio has lowered our standard and our expectations for good music. Many popular artists such as Kanye West and Katy Perry have convinced us that music is only sparkle, that the depth is puddle-deep.

Typically, the college radio station is a place where students can explore artists that are not MTV robots and has the potential to air music that is thick. The freedom to play local artists, to play up-and-coming musicians, is plausible. However, since MC’s radio station is “Christian,” we miss out on this cultural opportunity.

Choosing to only play Christian music on our campus seems illogical to me. I understand that MC wishes to ground its identity in Christ and promote Christian values. I do not agree, however, that the separation from the secular music world is a biblical necessity or an accurate representation of the student body.

Most MC students do not listen exclusively to Christian music. There may be a few of those individuals, but for the vast majority, they enjoy other types of music.

If anything, playing a blend of “Christian” music with quality secular music would draw an audience of listeners that would not have tuned in before. Non-Christians would then be invited to listen to a music selection chosen and based on its musical merit, mixing it in with Christian music that also meets a musical standard.

This may shock a few people, but Christian music can be poorly done, just like secular music. Christian music can often lack originality and be stylistically boring just like pop radio. Even though the message of Christian music is the most beautiful message to be given, often times we accept a lower musical standard.

However, when Christian artists are talented and use their musical ability to create art, non-Christians are less likely to discredit the music as lame and might give the words a chance as well.

Empowering the MC radio station to play music that is both secular and Christian would open the door to reach a larger group of people and for students to broaden their musical horizons.

Get some bands like First Aid Kit and Kate Nash to hang out with Gungor and John Mark McMillan for a while, and maybe everyone will enjoy the beauty of music in a new and refreshing way.

Mallory Hudson, Opinions Editor