Bold Predictions for the World of Football

Well, it is that time of year again folks; October, which means that football is in full swing. Whether it is Pop Warner, high school, college, or professional, football is here.

No matter what team you root for, this season has been undeniably entertaining to watch. The best part is that there is still plenty of football to still to be played. There are some topics that have been on my mind after watching both the NFL and the NCAA.

First off, I will start with the center of attention in college football, Johnny Manziel. There is no doubt that Manziel earned the Heisman trophy last season, but will he win it again?

Absolutely not, due to a man named Tajh Boyd. Yes, Tajh Boyd, the Clemson Quarterback, will win the Heisman Trophy this year. Manziel had a stellar game against Alabama, no doubt, but he threw two interceptions that ended up being critical to the scoreboard.

Manziel has 14 touchdown passes and four interceptions, where Boyd matches him in TD passes, but has thrown only two interceptions. Manziel has arguably the best offensive line in the country and has only been sacked four times, yet Boyd has been sacked 11. Yes, Manziel has more passing yards (only 40), but he is called to throw a lot more than Boyd. Boyd led Clemson to an upset against Georgia in their opener, where he threw three TD passes and ran for two.

The argument can be made that Marcus Mariota of Oregon could win the Heisman. Yes, Mariota has played excellently (with 21 total TDs in only five games), but Oregon has only played teams that are struggling to even get to a bowl game, let alone be a contender. He failed to step up last year when it mattered against Stanford, a game that would have put them in the national championship, so he will have a lot to prove if he wants to surpass Boyd.

Clear and simple, Tajh Boyd will win the 2014 Heisman trophy.

Now on to the next prediction: who will win the national championship? Right now, there are 13 undefeated teams in the AP Top 25. Some notable names are Stanford, Oregon, Ohio State, Clemson, and of course Alabama. I am here to tell you, ladies and gentlemen, to get ready for a three peat because the Alabama Crimson Tide is going to win the National championship this year.

Many think Alabama’s offense is not good enough to win this year, but that just is not true. Their week two win over Texas A&M was easily the hardest game on their schedule. In that game, Alabama put up 49 points and AJ Mccarron was nearly flawless (throwing 4 TD passes, hitting 10 different receivers).

Sure, they play LSU, who might give them a game like last year, but Bama will beat them. Mississippi State? Not a chance. Alabama will run, throw, tackle, and return their way into the National Championship.

Who will they play? Oregon? No. Stanford? No. Alabama will play THE Ohio State University. In order for this to happen, Braxton Miller cannot play like he did against Northwestern (15-26, 1 Interception and only 200 yards), and they must beat Michigan.

Then they will go to the national championship. They have been able to beat two ranked teams thus far, all they need is to beat one more. Ohio State will go to the national championship, but will lose 30-14 to Alabama.

There were a few questions going into the NFL season; the biggest was whether or not Chip Kelly would be able to succeed in the NFL. The answer to that question is yes; not as a head coach, but rather as an offensive coordinator. When I look at Kelly, I cannot help but think of Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels had amazing years with the New England Patriots, including when he orchestrated the best offense in NFL history (the 2007-2008 team). When he went to Denver, many thought he would turn the team around, but they were mistaken. After a 5-0 start, Macdaniels the Broncos finished 8-8, then the next season they were 3-9 before Macdaniels was fired.

Chip Kelly’s Eagles are off to a 2-3 start, and his offensive has stumbled at times but has shown a lot of promise. Kelly and his offense shocked the world in his NFL debut, running all over Washington. The defense, on the other hand, is atrocious, giving up 28 points per game. To be a head coach in the NFL, you need to be able to have both an offensive mind and a defensive mind, which Kelly has proven thus far he does not yet have.

The last bold prediction is that the Denver Broncos will go a perfect 16-0 in the regular season. The Broncos are the real deal. Their defense is playing excellent without their best player, Von Miller. Peyton Manning is nearly unstoppable, the running game is respectable, and their schedule is easy from here on out. They do play the Patriots and the Chiefs (who are also 5-0) but neither team has the defense to stop Peyton Manning.

Now just because I said they will go 16-0 does not mean they will win the Super Bowl. After last years upset against the Ravens, Peyton Manning is hard to trust in the post season.

There is still plenty left of the season, and everyone should stay tuned to watch all the predictions come true.

– Alex Agrella

One thought on “Bold Predictions for the World of Football

Add yours