Grand Theft Auto V Review

This weekend, I punched some girl in the face. I also took her money, stole her Lamborghini, and crashed that Lamborghini, all while being chased by the cops. I would say it was a good weekend.

I did not do any of that in Clinton, Mississippi; however, I was in Los Santos.

Los Santos is the fictional city in the game Grand Theft Auto V, which is the 15th installment of the GTA series. Los Santos is in Blaine County, a county where you can explore almost every inch of it. Blaine County is bigger than the entire map of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Red Dead Redemption, making it the biggest map in a game ever created.

Blaine Co has almost every kind of landscape you could ask for. You can go from mountain tops to swamp lands, rolling hills to flat plains, coastlines to city streets. It pretty much has everything. You can steal a car in the city, take an ATV in the country, or come in possession of a jet ski on a beach.

From hijacking a plane, to commandeering a helicopter, anything is possible in this game. It may not all be legal, but it is possible. Basically, in Los Santos and Blaine Co, anything can happen. That is why the game is one of the best ever made.

That is not just an opinion; Rockstar North (the Developer of GTAV) released the game, on Xbox 360 and PS3, on September 17, 2013, and within just three days, it became the fastest selling video-game in history.  GTA V earned $1 billion within three days of its release. Just let that sink in (I like to picture Rockstar North diving into a pool of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck).

In GTA V, you can choose to play as one of three main characters: Michael (a thief placed under witness protection), Franklin (a black repo-man), or Trevor (a short-tempered thief). You can switch characters at any time, except for when a mission calls for you not to. When your character is not on a mission, you can stay his house and watch TV. That is right: you are playing a game of someone watching TV. It has everything: including online play.

The online play for GTA V was released on the 1st of October. In the online universe of GTA, you interact with others across the globe within the borders of Blaine County. As a player, you can perform heists, races, and various missions with other players. You can also collect, customize, and even buy insurance for cars you like.

Have a few cars that you want to keep? You can buy a garage for them. Want to buy a helicopter? They have helipads to store them. If you do not want to do anything, simply watch other players get chased by the cops. GTA online has it all.

With the free roam gameplay, the ability to switch characters, and the online play, GTA is the game of the year. Period. I give it 4 out of 4 stars. Perfect. It is everything you want in a game.

– Tyler Cox, Contributing Writer