Harvest Hoedown Comes To MC

IMG_4673In a season filled with colored leaves, turkey and dressing, and pumpkin spice lattes, Mississippi College is putting its own spin on the festivities of autumn. This year, Kappa Delta Pi is hosting Harvest Hoedown, an event to benefit those with special needs in Clinton and the surrounding areas.

The first annual Harvest Hoedown will be held in Alumni Gym on Monday, Nov. 4 from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. To celebrate the season, there will be autumn-themed activities, a photo booth, dancing, and more for guests to enjoy.

Kappa Delta Pi is the education honor society at Mississippi College, and the group is sponsored by Cindy Melton, the chair of the Department of Teacher Education and Leadership.

Kappa Delta Pi has been involved in the community in the past, but this year, they wanted to do something different to give back. All proceeds from the event will be given to the Mustard Seed, a Christian organization for adults with developmental disabilities, in Brandon, Miss.

Rachel Autrey, a member of Kappa Delta Pi, often volunteers at Mustard Seed, along with her friend and Kappa Delta Pi President Morgan Barber.

“Morgan Barber and I both have a passion for working with children and adults with special needs and their families,” Autrey said. “This event is a great way to meet the families, reach out to the special needs community, and raise awareness and funds for The Mustard Seed.”

The plan to host the event came when Autrey heard about a similar event from a friend at Samford University.

“As soon as I heard about it, I knew I wanted to do something like it on MC’s campus,” Autrey said.

The Mustard Seed and Mississippi College have had a close connection over the years, and this event furthers the relationship between the two groups.

Harvest Hoedown is open to the general public, and everyone is encouraged to wear their cowboy hats and boots. Admission is $3 per person or $10 per family. There will also be t-shirts on sale for $15.

“Morgan and I are anxious for the event to be here. We hope to become involved in more ways on campus and in the schools,” Autrey said.

Volunteers are also needed to help make this event a success. If anyone would like to help with Harvest Hoedown or make a donation, contact Rachel Autrey at rautrey@mc.edu.

– Ashley Gressett, Contributing Writer