Justice Week at MC

The International Justice Mission campus chapter and the human trafficking class in the Social Work department are partnering to sponsor Justice Week during the first week of November.

The week will consist of an event every day for the purpose of raising awareness of human trafficking and modern day slavery around the world, as well as raising funds for International Justice Mission’s efforts to end trafficking.

Starting on Monday, Nov. 4, Loose Change to Loosen Chains (LC2LC) will be taking place in the cafeteria during lunch and dinner. Some professors have agreed to “host” a box in the Caf. Students can cast a vote for each professor by donating change to their box.

At the end of the week, each professor who has raised $25 will be pied in the face on the Quad. This is the only single event of International Justice Mission week that will last all Monday thru Friday.

On Monday, there will be a documentary screening at 9 p.m. to inform students of the details surrounding International Justice Mission. Then on Tuesday, a walk thru exhibit will be hosted on the Quad all day. Wednesday’s activity includes a prayer night in Jennings Courtyard at 9 p.m.

In the Caf on Thursday, students are encouraged to sign letters to Congressman Gregg Harper encouraging him to sponsor anti-trafficking legislation. There will be pre-printed postcards supplied to students. Friday will be the Loose Change to Loosen Chains celebration on the Quad with professors being pied in the face at 12:30 p.m.

Deborah Holt teaches the Human Trafficking class that is teaming up with the IJM Chapter on campus. She explained that “modern-day slavery still exists,” with close to 27 million slaves worldwide.

“There are lots of people whose lives are controlled by other people,” said Holt. By taking note of signs and symptoms of slavery, students can stay alert for people who may be victims of sex slavery, labor slavery, or child slavery.

A few major flags to watch for that may identify slavery include evidence of being controlled, inability to move or leave a job, bruises or other signs of physical abuse, fear or depression, not speaking on one’s own behalf and/or non-English speaking, and no passport or other forms of identification/documentation.

Hold encourages students to come out and support Justice Week. Her students and the IJM Campus Chapter have been working hard to raise awareness of human trafficking and modern day slavery around the world, as well as raise funds for International Justice Mission’s efforts to end trafficking.

The International Justice Mission campus chapter meets on the first and third Thursday of each month at 9:30 p.m. above the Caf in Meeting Room B of Anderson. Find them on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected. More details about International Justice Mission and human trafficking can be found at www.IJM.org.

– Katie Rogers, Copy Editor