Ruhi Reviews: Love and Misadventure

tumblr_mp11ujq34x1qiu4ero1_500When talking about poetry, many people start to reminisce about the droll high school English classes that forced upon them poems of Edgar Allen Poe, Emily Dickinson, and E.E. Cummings, leaving them to decipher these metaphorically laden written works of someone else’s feelings.

Most people probably hated it. In high school, I will openly admit that I hated it, too. But in high school, most of us were too busy thinking about what to wear to the football game, who was with who, and what friends you were feuding with that week.

It is not until you begin experiencing real emotions like heartache, intense happiness, or certain types of sadness that you finally relate to what the adult authors of the poems you previously read were alluding to.

Lang Leav, the author of Love & Misadventure, puts the human condition under a microscope and conveys it through her poems.

After making a presence on the website Tumblr.com and posting hundreds of poems for others to reblog, share, like, etc., Lang Leav published her book of poetry just this past year after obtaining a huge following on Tumblr.

Excerpt from her poem ‘Wallflower’:

Shrinking in a corner, 

Pressed into the wall; 

Do they know I’m present,

Am I here at all?

Lang Leav captures those basic thoughts, emotions, ideas, and concerns that each one of us has every day: those same feelings that we keep inside but are not able to articulate because we may not be able to or know how to.

Eloquently, she puts into her poems something that is so relatable to every human and so easily understandable that you cannot put the book down until you have finished all of the poems.

‘The Wanderer’

what is she like?

I was told – 

She is a 

melancholy soul.”

Her poems, of course, are directed more at women and the longing and brokenness she herself has felt in her past. Lang Leav writes for herself, as any poet does, to transfer and solidify her emotions into a concrete source that others can hopefully empathize with.

I recommend this book of poetry to anyone that has felt overwhelmed with any type of emotion, whether there were tormented and felt bottomless, or were rejoicing in his or her own happiness. Emotions are never easily conveyed, but to have a book that can help one better understand their own feelings is something not easily found.

– Ruhi Randhawa, A&E Editor