Things To Do Around Jackson

628x471Finding things to do around campus and in the Clinton area is great and all, but why stop there? Jackson, Flowood, and Ridgeland are all only about 20-30 minutes away. There is so much to do in the Jackson area.

Some of the most fun times I have had in college has been hanging out with my friends doing things in Jackson. For those of you looking to “expand your horizons” or broaden the vast amount of knowledge you already possess, I suggest checking out the Mississippi Children’s Museum, the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, the Mississippi Museum of Art, or the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame.

I know what you are thinking: “Museums? That’s lame.” But in all reality, it is like visiting your own little mini-Smithsonian in Mississippi. There is a museum for just about any peak of interest.

Another great way to spend time and burn a hole in your dad’s wallet is to go shopping. Dogwood Place in Flowood and the Renaissance in Ridgeland are beautiful places to go shopping and enjoy a nice day off.

Catching a Braves game at Trustmark Park right after a day of shopping or a round of miniature golf at Mac and Bones in Pearl does not sound too shabby, either.

Now, I am all for letting my inner child run wild, so another fun adventure worth spending time on is going to the Jackson Zoo. There is just something about visiting the zoo that never fails to peak my interest.

Another great way to enjoy this beautiful weather (while it lasts) is spending a day at the Reservoir. Who would not love to lay out and soak up the sun? Make a picnic basket with your friends, and call it a lazy Saturday.

Now, for those of you who are night owls, I suggest visiting Fondren District in Jackson. There are so many cute shops, galleries, and restaurants to visit in that area. Fondren truly has a personality of its own.

My personal favorite activity in Fondren is to go salsa dancing, but I usually make a whole evening out of spending time in Fondren with my friends.

I will generally grab dinner at Babalu’s Tacos & Tapas (fantastic Spanish place), spend some time casually conversing or listening to a mini-concert at Sneaky Beans coffee shop, and then salsa dance the night away.

Lessons start at 9 p.m., and are free for all who attend. I hope these fun suggestions have given some of you a few ideas of what to do with your spare time. Make the most of any free time you may have because the sky is the limit. I wish you all a fantastic semester of adventure and fun.

– Avni Patel, Contributing Writer