Holiday Recipes That Make Me Say Yum!

IMG_5423So many good things are about to happen. Thanksgiving. Christmas. No class. And, my personal favorite, massive amounts of food. I know I am not alone to delight in gluttonous pursuits generally ensued by the holidays. Thankfully, Christmas bleeds for approximately forever here on MC’s campus with many chances to exercise my heart’s capacity for seasonal sweets.

However, living in the dorms of MC can pose a dangerous and threatening problem to the frequenter of Christmas parties. Who has time to go to a communal kitchen and make Oreo balls that “disappear” by the next morning? Who has time or the equipment to make their grandmother’s famous caramel cake? Nobody, that is who.

So, as normal college students, we turn to easier solutions. It is not lazy. It is improvisation. Though I no longer live on campus, my time living in campus housing paired with the demands of tribe life taught me a few tricks about how to prepare a quick and low maintenance treat for my friends and for me.

The Yule-Tide Cookie Log: I learned of this gem through my good friend Rachel Stockard. If you ever decide to try this out, you should go hug her because your thanks are appropriately measured once you encounter this dish. It is that good.

I would suggest you make this if your party or celebration is located near an oven. If the party is not, you should probably plan a Christmas party near an oven just so you can eat this.

Cookie Log

1 Nestle Toll House Refrigerated dough

1 Half Gallon of vanilla ice cream

Instructions: cut open tube of dough without separating. Bake whole log of dough for about ten-twelve minutes. Do not let it cool too long before you scoop the vanilla ice cream directly on top. Give everybody a spoon and eat the gooey cookie right off the sheet. This is so good, it will change you, and it is ridiculously simple.

Nutty White Chocolate Pretzels- Generally, males gravitate toward this party food. A subtle combination of sweet and salty, this favor is cheap and quick– the only real criteria that need to be met.

White Chocolate Pretzels

1 lb. of White Almond Bark

1 c. of Roasted Peanuts

2 c. of Pretzel Sticks

Instructions: Melt Almond bark in microwave. Mix with other ingredients in large bowl. Let harden and then break into bite size portions. Viola!

Chocolate Covered Peppermint Sticks- Perfect for mixing hot chocolate with, these peppermint sticks are a season favorite and are festive additions to any party spread or a personal Santa stash to boost your blood sugar during finals prep. The best part is that you only need a microwave!

Chocolate Covered Peppermint Sticks

1 box of Soft Mint Peppermint Sticks

1 bag of Semi-sweet chocolate chips

Christmas sprinkles (optional)

Instructions: Melt chocolate in bowl. Dip peppermint sticks into chocolate. Add sprinkles if desired and let the chocolate harden.

With these three microwave friendly, budget approved, recipes, throwing or attending any Thanksgiving, Christmas, Winter solstice celebration is guaranteed to be delicious. Just because many MC students do not have kitchens does not mean that we do not like to eat. Do not bring Pop Tarts to a party: you deserve better.

– Mallory Hudson, Opinions Editor