Arts & Entertainment

Ruhi Reviews: The Dark World

thor

Alas, Marvel has returned with another superhero movie to keep us occupied for the season. Chris Hemsworth is back as ‘Thor’, the massively built, hammer-wielding, luscious haired, Asgardian Prince to once again bring order and peace to the world. Natalie Portman reprises her role as Thor’s long-distance, astrophysicist, Earth girlfriend, Jane Foster.

‘Thor: The Dark World’ picks back up where the ‘Avengers’ left off, after Loki, played by the ever-charming Tom Hiddleston, failed at attempting a coup and trying to destroy New York.

Thor has been charging through the nine realms for the past two years trying to achieve peace throughout the worlds with his rag-team of skilled fighters.

Before the actual movie begins, we are given a synopsis of mythology about the nine realms. Anthony Hopkins, who plays Odin, King of Asgard, recites

“Long before the birth of light, there was darkness, from that darkness came the Dark Elves.”

And we are given the first introduction to the movie’s villain, Malekith.

Malekith, who resembles one of the engineers from “Prometheus,” is the leader of the Dark Elves, who attempts to use a mass of fluid energy called the Aether to bathe the universe in darkness.

He is stopped by Odin’s father, who hides the Aether and assumes Malekith and the dark elves have been destroyed, but is wrong.  Malekith goes into hiding with a few of his surviving Dark Elven buddies to wait until the next convergence (lining up of the nine realms) so he can attempt a plot to use the Aether, but the poor guy has to wait another 10,000 years for the next convergence.

The first scene with Thor opens in a new realm not seen before in the previous movies, with Thor and his team extinguishing a threat.

The scene is supposed to cast a light on Thor’s ever powerfulness as the hammer-wielding God, but it fizzles out as being almost unnecessary because of course, Thor wins and captures the opponents as prisoners.

However, this sets up the next part where we finally see Loki for the first time after New York. He has been sentenced to live within the Asgardian prison for the rest of his life.

On Earth, a heart broken Jane Foster, who has had no word from Thor for two years (think, “it’s complicated” as the Facebook relationship status), is discovering that not all is right in the physics of Earth.

She and her always-entertaining intern, Darcy (Kat Dennings) are finding portals to different realms because of the convergence. As Jane roams off to explore, she stumbles upon a portal that sucks her in and transports her to the world where the Aether is hidden.

Now, having the idiotic curiosity of any human being, Jane goes toward the Aether and unknowingly unleashes it. The Aether attaches itself into Jane like a parasitic disease.  Who would have guessed?

Malekith senses the Aether has been released (he seems to have spidey senses for it) and awakens from his 10,000 year sleep to bring destruction upon the nine realms and try to envelop the world in darkness once more.

This movie is exactly what you expect from a super-hero sequel but at times the plot seems generic and the dialogues becomes dull and monotonous.

The sprawling worlds of the nine realms, especially Asgard, leaves you wondering if someone from the CGI department was feeling lazy the day they edited the movie.

The redeeming factor is the emotional rollercoaster that Thor’s writers are able to bring about in an action flick.  The darker themes hold a more pungent underlying emotional tone that most action movies seems to lack.

The character development seen between Loki and Thor is a step in the right direction.  The constant battle within Thor on whether he can trust his brother or not, leads to some interesting twists and scenes between the two and presents some of the best dialogue from the entire movie.

YOU KNOW, WHY DON’T WE STEAL THE BIGGEST, MOST OBVIOUS SHIP IN THE UNIVERSE AND TRY TO ESCAPE WITH IT. THIS IS BRILLIANT, THOR! JUST BRILLIANT!”

Loki, the treacherously witty, sociopathic brother with some adoption syndromes easily steals the show.

“Thor: The Dark World” has the romance, the otherworldly grandiosity, humor, and emotions that will leave you entertained for two hours. Marvel’s recipe for superhero movies proved once again to pay off for Thor, and I am definitely looking forward to the next one. 3 out of 4 stars.

– Ruhi Randhawa, A&E Editor