Sherlock Holmes is back and the game is on

He is back–back from the dead. Recently the BBC’s Sherlock aired for its third and possibly best season yet. It was a trilogy of episodes filled with drama, humor, suspense, and many twists and turns in the story and left us with another surprise ending.

In this BBC drama of a modern telling of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic stories of the British detective Benedict Cumberbatch brilliantly stars as the world’s only consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes. Holmes’ faithful companion John Watson is played by Martin Freeman.

Sherlock is a unique mix of strange characters, drama, humor, action, and suspense. For a show that has only aired nine episodes in the past four years, Sherlock has become an intensely popular show. That has a lot to do with Cumberbatch’s unique version of Holmes and the chemistry of the cast.

Cumberbatch plays an egotistical, rude, sarcastic, prideful, anti-social, but brilliant Sherlock Holmes. This Sherlock is very likeable on screen but if he was real he would be a pain to be around and it is no wonder he has very few friends on the show.

Part of the fun is seeing Sherlock’s interaction with others while unashamedly not keeping his ego and rude sarcasm in check and saying what is on his mind.

Ironically, Freeman seems to play the same loveable character in most of his famous roles like he does in this show: a relatable and seemingly normal character who gets caught up on an adventure against his will at first but through his journey he learns more about himself and enjoys the adventure.

This is the role he has famously played on the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and recently with the Hobbit trilogy. Freeman’s Watson acts as our anchor of familiar reality in Sherlock Holmes’s strange world and he is almost more of a main character than Sherlock because the stories seem to focus more around John Watson and his point of view.

At the end of season two (spoiler alert if you have not seen season two), we saw Sherlock jump to his death from the top of a building but somehow is still alive and watches in the distance at his own funeral.

Sherlock was forced to fake his own death because a mad Jim Moriarty (before Moriarty commits suicide) threatens that his men will kill Sherlock’s friends if he does not kill himself. Sherlock has spent two years taking down Moriarty’s organization but is forced to come back to London by his brother Mycroft because of a terrorist threat.

John is speechless when he finds Sherlock is still alive but is overcome with anger because his friend never tried to tell him he was still alive. The meeting of Sherlock surprising John and his friend’s reaction is hilarious and one of the best moments of the season.

Season three is focused on the friendship of these two classic characters. Sherlock sees the worst in people and hates most and describes himself as a “fully functioning sociopath.” He may be a genius but lacks the common sense of social interaction.

John is a doctor who sees the best in people but is also impatient and quick tempered. What they do share in common is their addiction to adventure and danger. Together they complete a yin and yang of light and dark that pair terrifically together. Season three really dissects the friendship of these two and their devotion to each other and what makes each one tick.

Of the few disappointments with this season, it would be nice to see more threatening and evil villains and deeper stories. And of course, more episodes.

The 1960s had a British invasion in the music scene and it seems like lately there is an invasion of popular British TV shows and great movie actors. From the Downtown Abbey craze, Doctor Who, and now season three of Sherlock. Tom Hiddleston recently gained fame for his performances as the evil Loki in the Thor movies and the Avengers. Cumberbatch was recently the villain in Star Trek: Into Darkness and voiced the dragon Smaug in the Hobbit, the Desolation of Smaug.

Fans will probably have two years to wait for more adventures with Sherlock but if the last seasons prove anything, it will be worth the wait.

– James Osborne, Contributing Writer