A voice for the animals out there

When walking on Mississippi College’s luscious greens, friendly students scurry to class, cordially greet one another with friendly salutations, and professors stroll to their next lecture.

However, when taking a closer look, the flash of a bobtail cat in front of Lowery Hall crosses the path, alone and desolate, hungrily scavenging the dumped out chicken bones of Wednesday’s finest meal in the mulch nearby. 

Passing by Nelson hall, one can admire the stately brick infrastructure, only to see the beastly brawl between two sparsely furred squirrels, savagely fighting for the ownership of much-desired shelter.

How can we—residents of the top of the food chain, rulers of the land and sea—be so blind to the heinous standard of living of the animals on this campus? How do we solve the problem of rabid felines and opossums that reside in the same acreage we call home?

Currently, residence life policy pertaining to non-human residents is limited to fish and small insects. I propose that this limitation of life in the dorms might be repealed, allowing the forlorn and needy animals of Clinton to experience the love of a caregiver in an atmosphere of community and academic growth.

I propose that all animals would be allowed access to the comforts of our facilities, so that homeless and forgotten squirrels, dogs, raccoons, and gutter cats found on our small plot of Clintonian landscape might be given refuge.

The beauty of this union would allow others to see our selflessness and our willingness to love even the armadillos and opossums that often are murdered by F-150s and Jeep Cherokees that so unashamedly park on our land. These animals would enter a compassion-driven, Christ-centered community of young adults who are seeking to find future, faith, and, last but not least, family.

Practically speaking, animals would boost the moral of students, allowing them to have the joys of parenthood before marriage. Just as in parenthood, students would be required to sacrificially give their time and energy to the well being of a small and needy being.

Unconditional love would abound during the late-night potty breaks, the constant whines for attention, and the occasional snake bite would prepare us for the realities of adulthood in a time when so many of us fail to see the benefits of selflessness.

Of course, caregivers would be provided with the services of a “doggie-daycare” to watch after their pets during classes and work to protect the pet from neglect and loneliness in the absence of family.

Also, animal care will provide students with more job opportunities on campus, such as doggie daycare providers, Specialty Animal Resident Assistants (to assure their acclamation to college life), and specialty animal cleaning-staff. Students would also grow closer together as they have reason to communicate with their neighbors, since many caregivers will be adopting untraditional animal companions in their lives, such as snakes, raccoons, deer, and lizards.

All students will band together to ensure a safe environment for the love and care of MC’s second student body.

This solution, to open our doors and our hearts, is the only true humane offering we can provide for our animal friends. I challenge you to lay aside your prejudice. Do not think of the smell, the diseases, or the vandalism. Think of their poor shivering souls in the freezing rain.  Think of the lonely, hungry gnawing in their beady little eyes.

Once you have thought long enough, I ask you to consider bringing this legislation before your senate to end the crimes against animals and begin a new era of civility.

I shall found the basis of my argument on the success and rational of the Pet-a-Puppy program that administration has so kindly endorsed during finals week.

– Mallory Hudson, Opinions Editor