The anticipation of waiting

Waiting. Waiting for true love, a degree, and friends. There are so many things we wait for in life. Why is it so hard to do? Psalm 37 says, “Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart’s desires”.

If the Lord will give you your heart’s desires, then why do you have to practice patience (Galatians 5:22)?

All of these things have boggled my mind lately. With some great advice from my mother and just from digging into God’s Word, I have been able to truly understand this puzzling situation.

I have been waiting for true love for a long time. When I was 14, I decided to give my entire self to God until I marry. That decision was the best and hardest one I have made. But, it has been and will be the most rewarding one.

Ever since that decision, there have been times when I wanted to jump headlong into a relationship without weighing the reasons for the relationship. It was at those times that I had to remind myself why I was waiting. Waiting had become a choice, not default.

As I have matured and gotten older, I have gone from choosing to wait to waiting out of default. I have never had a boyfriend and do not intend to until God says so. It is not easy. But I know that, “The Lord will give me the desires of my heart,” one day. Until it is His timing, I choose to wait patiently.

A degree is not something I have really wanted in the past, but I have come to the realization that it could be helpful one day. Being a freshman at Mississippi College, I have a LONG wait for a degree.

It is not something easy to do. You not only have to wait and hope that one day you will be specialized in this or that, but you have to apply yourself to subjects you really have no interest in.

I guess it kind of helps that you are preoccupied while earning a degree, but to me, it feels like I am not getting anywhere. This aspect of waiting is challenging, but can be very rewarding. You can test yourself in areas you lack and stretch your knowledge in the areas that you do not.

If you do as Psalm 37: 34 says, “Don’t be impatient for the Lord to act! Travel steadily along His path,” you will wake up one day and find yourself getting ready to graduate with the degree you have worked so hard towards! It will be so fulfilling!

Friends. How wonderful that we get to share our life experiences with other people? It can be difficult to really enjoy your time at college or just on this earth if friends are absent. Making friends and waiting for friends is not the easiest thing to do. All you can really do is reach out to someone and wait for them to respond.

I have learned to trust God with the friendships I have and do not have. He is allowing me to have the friends I do for a reason. It is not easy to start out at a new place not knowing anyone. It is also not easy figuring out who your friends are while you figure out who you are.

Yes, waiting is difficult (you probably already knew that). But, what do you do while you wait? If you look at every situation with the knowledge that God is not allowing you to have this or that for a reason, you will find yourself more at ease. He is in control of all things.

Besides, He has given you so many things already! “For everything there is a season and a time under heaven.” Maybe you can’t handle that thing in your life at the moment (even though you think you can).

As I have had to wait for things in life, I have tried to focus on what I can do to help others or enjoy my life more instead of focusing on what I don’t have. By choosing to be happy in everything, I focus on how I can spread light and life to other people!

It makes waiting easier and keeps it off of my mind! It is no longer monotonous! I am thrilled to see when and how God gives me the desires of my heart! In the meantime, I will be smiling and enjoying the anticipation!

– Julia Champagne, Contributing Writer