Will Twitter save TV?

twitterAs a Public Relations student at Mississippi College and an intern at a Marketing and Communications firm, I talk about Twitter functionality almost every day.

In today’s job market, it is essential for my fellow classmate and me to have this knowledge as we start careers after graduation. After all social media is what distinguishes us from older generations with more field experience in other areas.

Of course we all have our own Twitter accounts, but now is the time for us–especially those who are in Business, Marketing, and Communications fields–to start thinking more deeply about how it is used in the business place.

So I will start the conversation, can Twitter can help save broadcast/cable television? Its success will really depend on brands’ integrated advertising, marketing, and public relations savvy to make this happen.

The dollars are definitely there, but networks will have to be creative to keep them. Shows will have to focus on creating conversations.

As most of us know, the traditional television show is slowly dying, as example of Netflix’s House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. Online series content is only growing, and brands are even utilizing the trend by creating their own shows too.

Adweek featured a story a couple weeks about Chipotle’s new comical short series Farmed and Dangerous streaming on Hulu. Although networks should not give up hope yet; they still need to stay competitive with premium cable shows, such as Breaking Bad.

Networks will have to keep their edge over online content when it comes to live event broadcast, like sports programming and awards shows.

Advertisers and networks will also have to work together when it comes to creating conversations; advertisers should be encouraged to step up their game. Audiences now require more from brands when it comes to quality, and they will have to become more creative to garner attention.

Take Coca-Cola’s ad, “America Is Beautiful,” from this year’s Super Bowl as an example. Their commercial was simple and seemed relatively inexpensive to produce. But they utilized a very effective tool I have heard called the “outrage machine” during a highly watched event.

There was a large portion of Americans, particularly conservatives, who were outraged by the commercial’s message and went to social media to rant about it.

In turn, other Americans, who liked the ad, became outraged by their outrage, and they went to social media to rant. The media then got a hold of the debate and fueled it through its channels.

By the end of it all, Coke created a huge buzz from one creative commercial that blended advertising and public relations and received (probably) millions in free press for it.

No matter what people’s views are of the content, I would like to see someone argue that, that commercial was not advertising genius.

This is what networks are going to have to encourage among advertisers to convince them to stay in broadcast/cable. They will have to start conversations about brands, especially on Twitter, in order for both to stay successful.

#twitterTV

– Kelsey Kitch, Editor