International Festival celebrated at Mississippi College

The International Festival is a regular event each year at Mississippi College that has been celebrated for the last seven years. This year will be no different. Students from countries such as China, India, Iran, and Bangladesh will be in the spotlight at Swor Auditoriumon April 1, at 6 p.m.There will be two hours of various performances from those students and a reception after the event.

The performances will combine a fashion show, dancing, music, and other types of live entertainment that relate to the students’ home countries.For example, the fashion show will exhibit different countries’ clothing.

The event is open to everyone. Tickets for the event are $3 for students if bought prior to the evening of the festival, while the cost for faculty, staff, and community members is $5. If students buy a ticket at the door, it will be $5 for students and $7 for faculty, staff, and community members.

The event is sponsored by Mei-Chi C. Piletz, the director of the Office Global Education and the main sponsor for this event. Brittany Perrotta is responsible for this event, and it is her third year directing the event.

Brittany Perrotta, student assistant for the Office Global Education, works with all international student events as well as volunteer requirements for performance of this event.

Perrotta said,“We try to keep you on yourtoes, so every year we want to try to provide something different.”  She did not disclose the name of performances. “I would say you should come to see the performances; we leave the surprises for the day of the celebration.”

Still, the structure of this event remains the same and will provide the same variety and entertainment as previous years.

The main idea of the International Festival isto help students gain an understanding of other countries’ cultures.

“The purpose of the event is to allow international students to get excitedabout their culture and to highlight what they love about their country to MC faculty and students,” Perrotta added.

Students hoping to purchase tickets can stop by the Office of Global Education starting the week of Mar. 23. The tickets will be at the front desk and will also be sold in the Cafeteria at dinner from Mar. 31 to Apr. 1.

Perrotta said that the night of the festival will have around twelve performances, and there will be 12-15 students participating in the fashion show. Countries represented will include China and India.

The Office of Global Education will continue to celebratethe International Festival with students and faculty every year.It is welcome to people who want to come celebrate and get to know more about the culture of different countries. American students can learn about many countries’ cultures from the International Festival at Mississippi College.

For more information or to purchase tickets in advance, contact Brittany Perrotta of the Office Global Education at perrotta@mc.edu.

– XiaoXian Ni, Contributing Writer