The deer and the doubt

Doe, a deer, female deer. Doubt, a lousy way to live.  These two things were in my presence the night I rounded a downhill curve in a country road and smashed into a deer as doubts were smashing my heart.  As the life of the poor critter began to end, so did my doubts begin to die. The reason is because I saw the hand of Jesus Christ in the following events.

Upon rounding the curve of the road and making impact with Rudolph, a policeman just so happened to see the whole thing occur as he was driving. The deer immediately deceased, and once the policeman pulled over, he asked me if I was okay and if I wanted to file a report on it.

As I was pondering over this thought, lo and behold, my parents, who live about five minutes from where the wreck occurred, show up with no prior knowledge to the incident, saw that I was okay, answered the question for me, and took off.  In the course of all this, a country fellow, who also had no prior knowledge coming up to the scene, showed up and helped get the deer out from underneath the truck.

You see, after the accident occurred, Rudolph was so wedged tightly underneath the truck that whenever the vehicle went five feet, the deer went five feet. If the truck were to go ten feet, the deer were to go ten feet.  To solve this problem, the Lord sent this good ole boy to hold down the stubborn critter as the truck went forward, finally releasing itself of the whitetail.

There was still the problem of the meat. Who would want to waste such fine eatin’ and let the buzzards and the bacteria have this feast? Certainly not me! Neither did the policeman.  The Lord sent him to take Mother Nature’s happy meal back to the prison, have prisoners separate the meat from the rest of the flesh, then to the processor, and then have it for his family.

You see, all of this took place without me having to dial neither one number nor flag down one vehicle. When the deer came down to death, the Lord made sure its death was not in vain by a father/husband to take it back to his family for food, and he made sure the deer was dispatched quickly so it would not suffer.

Also, had it remained alive, only God knows what damage it would have done underneath the truck. Had it gone over the hood, through the windshield, and remained alive, just imagine what those sharp, thick hooves could have done to my head. There may not be much between these ears of mine, but I sure am grateful that He protected what little is in there.

You see, this event was just like a play with a script written out perfectly by the Lord. I am alive and well today and remained safe throughout the ordeal.  The truck suffered mainly a broken headlight, with the other damages being minor. The deer was fed to a family who needed food for the bellies of children and their parents.  Surely, “this poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles” (Psalm 34:6).

My friends, I saw the hand of the Lord in this, sending four people to help me in my dilemma, all of whom played a major role.  As I was hitting the brakes, I cried out to the Lord God of this earth, and sitting on His heavenly throne and gazing at me with a heart of love and wisdom, He took care of all the needs. The doubts I was having at this time in my life toward Him, which was not that long ago, soon began to succumb to the same thing as the deer: death.

What about you? Do you suffer doubt? Do you wrestle with yourself at three in the morning, as you fight for sleep but fear of the unknown is striking the very core of your heart and soul? Do you stare at death in the face and have fear of what happens to you once your name is plastered on a grave?

I have wrestled with this opponent for a long time, often in the wee hours of the night while attempting to sleep, and I firmly believe that Jesus Christ has the victory over death and that He freely gives that victory over the wretched grave to those who place their trust in Him.

To those who trust that what He says is true and that He is the Savior of the world, do you desire peace? Come to Jesus. Do you desire to be filled? Come to Jesus. I have seen His hand reaching out to me many times in my life, like in this story.

Just tonight my phone was dead, and I had no key to the apartment I was staying in. After attempting to charge my phone in the vehicle, which did not work, one of the guys who was staying in same apartment parked directly beside me. As a result, I could now enter into the apartment without having to wake up others with loud knocking or wait for an extensive amount of time to show up.

I see these small incidents over and over again, and I recognize that what some may call coincidences, I see as divine arrangements by the Creator of time Jesus Christ. He calls your name and wants to draw you close in heavenly, Godly love, embrace you into an eternal relationship, and grant you peace that surpasses all understanding.

What do you say, friend? This choice is yours. “As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When shall I come and appear before God?” Psalm 42:1-2

– Stephen Bailey, Contributing Writer