The MC FCA presents the 2014 Clinton Chick-fil-A Amazin’ Race

balloonsThe fourth annual Fellowship of Christian Athletes Amazin’ Race is set for Monday, April 14, from 8 p.m. to10:30 p.m. The Amazin’ Race on the Mississippi College campus is styled after the TV show “The Amazing Race.” Twelve groups of ten will compete by racing to different stations on campus and performing various activities and challenges.

The challenges are meant to push competitors both physically and mentally. This year’s theme is “The Wilderness Challenge.”

A message will be given before the race by Todd Core, minister at First Baptist Columbus, whose sermon will tie into the theme of the Israelites in the wilderness.

Registration is now taking place, and participants can sign up as an individual and be put in a group or they can sign up as a group. The cost is $7 for individuals seeking to be placed on a team before the race or $50 per team, which must consist of eight to ten people.

To secure a spot in the race, teams must have all forms and money turned in, preferably at the same time, by Apr. 9, at 1 p.m. Registration forms are available in the Caf. Packet pickup is Apr. 11, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Students should sign up soon because there will only be 12 teams competing with one of those teams already reserved for CAB.

The cost of registration will help cover what participants will receive the day of the race: an official Amazin’ Race t-shirt, a bag of goodies from local Clinton businesses and organizations, and snacks that are provided at the end of the race.

Prizes include items from Chick-Fil-A for the top three teams, and the best dressed boy and girl will also receive a prize.

Registration will end once ten teams have signed up. The FCA is also in need of volunteers, and they are hoping for around 120 people to help out with this race through the MC campus.

Last year’s teams raced to different stations on campus with the theme of “The 10 Plagues of Egypt.” Each station had a theme centered on one of the plagues, and the teams competed and received a clue about where the next challenge was.

This year’s theme of “The Wilderness Challenge” continues the story of the Israelites through their wilderness journey starting in Exodus 14. Participants are encouraged to read through some of the story as knowledge of the biblical event might provide a competitive advantage in some challenges.

The official race name is The Clinton Chick-Fil-A Amazin’ Race Benefiting the MC Fellowship of Christian Athletes.  The Clinton Chick-Fil-A has helped out in the past and is one of the main sponsors this year.

There are several other sponsors this year as well. Gold sponsors include Holmes Specialty, MC Student Athlete Advisory Council, and Smoothie King. Some silver status sponsors include Adcamp, 2R-Renovations, Clarke-Wayne Tax Service, and MC Campus Activities Board.

The sponsors and the registration fees help pay for the night’s events, t-shirts, food for the volunteers, and water and snacks for the participants; other funds go to the MC FCA.

The FCA, led by Justin and Bethany Piggot and the FCA student leadership team, meets Monday nights at 8:30. The FCA team tries to put together at least one big event in the fall and in the spring.

The Amazin’ Race was the idea of Jamie Bennet, an MC alumni who was a softball player and on the FCA leadership staff during the year of the first Amazin’ Race, and she had also worked Centrifuge camps. Bennet and the Piggots loved the TV show “The Amazing Race” and wanted MC to have its own fun version.

“The initial event was created because we recognized that there was a gap between campus and athletes,” said Bethany Piggot. “It’s about trying to create a bridge between athletes and campus but still an opportunity to share the gospel.”

“It’s a great campus event to be shared with all students and have the gospel shared while building relationships with other students,” said Justin Piggot.

The Amazin’ Race is centered on MC students, but it is also open to MC faculty and staff, as well as the community. Last year’s winning team was a cross-fit group that included some members from the admissions staff.

“Last year, the Amazin’ Race was awesome!” said Michael Wright, an MC admissions counselor and member of last year’s winning team. “We had so many events that were either rigorous and challenged us physically or were really disgusting food wise. It was demanding but a lot of fun. Going through the events help you bond as a team. Ultimately, you help raise funds for FCA, a ministry which reaches a needed niche on campus.”

Wright said that he is trying to get his group together from last year to compete again. “The goal is to repeat last year. We welcome all challengers to try and take on the old guys!”

– James Osborne, Contributing Writer