Editorials

Ice bucket challenge shows our generation can make a difference

-Abbie Walker, Editor

It’s filled up our Facebook feeds. It’s been all over the internet for the past month. Even celebrities are lining up to do it. It’s none other than the ice bucket challenge.

The challenge was started to raise awareness and monetary support for those suffering from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. And to the surprise of many, the internet sensation took off quickly.

From George Bush and Bill Gates to Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake, celebs have been soaking themselves with freezing water to help raise support for this charity.

With so many people taking part in the ice bucket challenge, tagging friends and family to do the same, awareness for ALS has skyrocketed. But due to the overwhelming popularity of the challenge, people have started groaning in annoyance as they see yet another video of someone they know dumping ice water over their head.

But the significance of this viral phenomenon is so much more.

It shows the potential for our society, especially our generation, to impact the world.

More than $108 million has been raised for the organization, and more people know about this disease than ever before. In fact, the word spread faster than anything the world has seen in a long time.

The truth is, we have the ability to get a message out to the world fast. But how often do we act on this fact?

I recently posted a Facebook status that asked: “Wouldn’t it be the coolest thing ever if the Gospel spread as fast as the #icebucketchallenge?” But let’s stop and think about that for a moment.

We have been challenged by Jesus Christ to spread the good news of his death and resurrection to all the people of every nation. And while he may not have included a twenty-four hour time limit, what if we treated evangelism with the same eagerness and tenacity as we do internet trends?

While I in no way want to downplay the importance of raising money for an organization that is able to make a difference in the lives of those suffering from such a serious disease, the gospel of Jesus Christ is so much more necessary, so much more life-altering than any amount of earthly money or research.

We have the ability to spread the Word, but do we take that truth seriously?

Matthew 28:19-20 says, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

So what will you do with the challenge that Christ has set before you? How can you use your resources and your talents and abilities to spread the best news of all time to the masses?

I believe we have the potential to do much more than just dump ice water on our heads. Let’s impact the world one testimony at a time. If we believe in a God who changes lives, we should all be up for the challenge.

#gospelchallenge