Is a tame college a lame college?

-Candice Smith, contributing writer

As a 34 year old, I returned to college for one reason. That reason was to obtain a Master’s Degree in Counseling and support my family. I didn’t return to college to make friends, join social clubs or attend sporting events. My life is hectic enough being a full time wife, student and mother.

Rewind 16 years ago and my statement would have been the polar opposite. I would have wanted to attend the biggest party school in Mississippi that provided the best drunk fest with the longest funnels of beer! Obviously, Mississippi College would not have made my top ten list of party schools at the age of 18. It would have been the number one choice of my parents, though. At that point in my life, school was at the bottom of my priority scale.

Fast forward 16 years and I am very grateful Mississippi College has been named the “lamest party school in Mississippi” by a website called Total Frat Move. The writer of the article said, “The only time you will find me on one of those campuses would be if I stumbled upon it drunkenly, only to pee on the grass while shouting obscenities at the rent-a-cops. While we’re loading up on kegs for the return to the fraternity houses and our favorite bars, these kids are actually buying books and probably a ton of pocket protectors.” The writer then attached a map, indicating the “lamest” party school in each state. Mississippi College proudly draped its colors of blue and gold across the entire state from North to South and East to West. Go Choctaws!

Now, correct me if I’m wrong but am I supposed to be offended that I’m actually buying books instead of getting drunk while shouting obscenities at our security and police officers that are here to protect us? I know I am older than the average, traditional college student but college is supposed to be a transitional period in our lives where we need to step it up a notch as we try to make heads or tails of our plans for the rest of our lives.

In September 2012, Mississippi College released a news article from U.S. News & World Report that ranked Mississippi College as one of the top 30 regional universities in the South. In the MC News article, The U.S. News & World Report stated Mississippi College is “an accurate assessment of a Christian university that’s seeing its solid academic reputation get even better.”

As a college student representing a growing number of non-traditional students, I am proud to attend a university that has a notable reputation throughout the country as a Christian university with honorable standards and statistics.

If I wanted to get drunk, urinate on the streets and shout obscenities at passersby or rent-a-cops, I would attend the next Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans.

As an 18 year old student, some minds are clouded by the choices they have. Do I stay in my dorm and study for tomorrow’s exam or do I go to the party up the street and get totally wasted? I don’t know about you, but come graduation time, the partying and the drinking are not going to assist me in obtaining a diploma but my Grade Point Average will.

As a college student trying to focus on the next several years, you will already have enough obstacles to pass before you get to graduation. Be proud to attend a Christian university that is known to be tamer than others. To be tame is the opposite of being rebellious and a rebellious student is a “lame” student!