Throwback Thursday: Ronald Reagan Lecture

This Throwback Thursday article dates back to the April 25, 1975 issue of The Mississippi Collegian. Ronald Reagan was then a former governor of California, and was still six years away from his two-termed presidency that defined American politics in the 1980s. After a decade of battling Alzheimer’s disease, Reagan died in 2004. He is remembered today for his conservative views and his high public approval ratings. 

Ronald Reagan Lecture To Be Given Monday

From 1975- "The final personality of the Student Awareness Series will be Ronald Reagan who will speak Monday, April 28 at 3 p.m. in Nelson Auditorium. His lecture is being sponsored by the Campus Life Enrichment Program."
From 1975- “The final personality of the Student Awareness Series will be Ronald Reagan who will speak Monday, April 28 at 3 p.m. in Nelson Auditorium. His lecture is being sponsored by the Campus Life Enrichment Program.”

– Jan Jones

Former California governor, Ronald Reagan, will speak at Mississippi College, Monday, April 28 at 3 p.m. in Nelson Auditorium. The formal address will be open to the public and no admission will be charged. Reagan’s appearance is being sponsored by the Student Awareness Series under the auspices of the Campus Life Enrichment Program. The Enrichment Program is funded by the Alumni Association in an effort to enhance the cultural life at Mississippi College. Gov. Reagan’s lecture will close out the 1975 Student Awareness Series that was initiated in early March by an address by Gov. Bill Waller of Mississippi.

Born in Tampico, Illinois, February 6, 1911, Ronald Reagan earned a degree in Economics and Sociology from Eureka College in 1932.

As a citizen-politican making his first try for public office, Reagan was elected governor of California. As governor, he was successful in obtaining passage of programs to control narcotics, drug abuse and crime, and give greater protection to the environment. During Reagan’s administration, California enacted the nation’s toughest air, water and noise pollution control laws and was the first state to establish a Department of Consumer Affairs. After two terms as governor, Reagan emerged as the leading spokesman for the cause of American political conservatism.

Since leaving the office of Governor of California, Reagan has become a nationally syndicated radio commentator and newspaper columnist, an elder statesman for the GOP, and perhaps America’s most requested conservative lecturer. Reagan has also been named by Newsweek as one of the Republican party’s “leading Presidential candidate for 1976.”

As one of the only two colleges or universities on Reagan’s spring lecture tour, Mississippi College is very fortunate to have such an outstanding speaker.

Since the Reagan lecture is open to the public, many people from Jackson and the surrounding areas are expected, and MC students are urged to arrive early in order to secure a good seat.