Homecoming 2014 Preview

-Andrew Rock, Contributing Writer

Mississippi College will celebrate Homecoming 2014 with a variety of fun activities. From Oct. 14-19, students and alumni will enjoy a football game, Follies skits, tailgating on the Quad, a parade, cheer competitions, and a massive book sale.

One of the best-loved Homecoming events is Follies. Each year, clubs and tribes put on comedy performances, delighting their fellow students. Homecoming Chair Lynnsey Jackson said that Follies will be different this year, with one night of performances free for students and faculty on Oct. 16 and a showing open to the public on Oct. 17 for $15.

Jackson said that this system is designed to allow both students and families to see the plays. She said that in the past, tickets have been difficult to manage because of the crowd of eager students and parents vying for seats.

Students will also be able to enjoy a home football game against Valdosta State on Oct. 18. Campus Activities Board and the Homecoming Committee will be giving away prizes, such as T-shirts, at the game. Kickoff will be at 3 p.m., after tailgating on the Quad.

From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., student organizations will set up tables on the Quad for pre-game tailgating, an MC tradition. Clubs and tribes will show up, along with other interest groups and faith organizations. Students should expect free food and drinks, information about ways to get involved on campus, and other assorted goodies. This event is recommended for anyone in need of koozies, pens, and stylized water bottles.

Part of the tailgating experience will include events for MC alumni. The class of 1964 celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, and MC is offering tours of the campus to show them how things have changed since they were here.

At 1 p.m. that same day, there will be a parade on College Street. Student organizations such as clubs and tribes, the Student Government Association, and any other interested group will participate. Jackson said she was not yet sure which groups will sign up, so it will be a fun surprise.
Jackson also spoke of a newer Homecoming attraction: Choctaw Cheer-off. Clubs and tribes will write cheers laden with school spirit and deliver them on the back patio of the Caf. The winning group will receive points towards the ongoing spirit competition.

Prior to the other Homecoming festivities is the attraction of the Leland Speed Library’s annual Book Bazaar. From Oct. 9-11, second-hand books will be available for purchase in Alumni Gym between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Library employee Summer Johnson, a sophomore education major, said that people from across the Clinton and Jackson area donate old books to sell. She said that there will be a “couple thousand” books for sale this year.

These events are linked together by this year’s Homecoming Theme: Something Old, Something New, Something Gold, Something Blue. Homecoming Chairman Lynnsey Jackson explained the reasoning behind this cryptic theme. She said that it is a reference to the fact that MC’s athletic teams recently moved back up to Division II of the National College Athletics Association, after being relegated to Division III in the 1990’s.

“Something Old” refers to the fact that the Choctaws were once Division II, and “Something New,” to the fact that the position is now restored.

Whether someone wants to take in a Follies skit, cheer for the Choctaws, or just peruse a book sale, Homecoming week has something to offer. Join the MC family this year in a week of fun and games.