Sports

Choctaw fans scream and shout support despite homecoming loss

– Katy Pirkle, contributing writer

While Saturday’s homecoming football game may have had a disappointing ending, the MC community succeeded in filling the stands as they came out to support their Choctaws.

The Mississippi College quad was packed full of fans, students, family and alumni for the tailgate before the Oct. 18 game. Fans headed over to Robinson Hale Stadium around 2:50 p.m., anxious to make it for the 3:00 kickoff. Campus Activities Board helped make the student section a little more rowdy by providing free shirts for students that said “Scream, Yell, Win,” and the section was definitely loud. The cheerleaders were a big part in that as well, as they got the crowd pumped throughout the whole game by leading constant cheers. Reid Vance, who broadcasted the game on Star 93.5, said it was the biggest crowd he has seen this year and it’s even the biggest crowd he’s seen for some time at the field.

The last time the Choctaws and Valdosta state played one another was in 1995, and the Blazers came ready to play. Our Choctaws put up a good fight, but were not able to pull out a victory in the end as Valdosta scored every quarter. In the first quarter Valdosta State was almost to the goal line, but the ball was fumbled and the NCAA player of the week from last week’s Faith game, Senior Dylan Klibert, recovered it. Throughout the four quarters great passes were made from the Choctaws, and the MC receivers did well too, as James Banks, Jaime Harris, and Rashad Crisp were busy at work. By halftime Valdosta State led the Choctaws with a 35-0 lead. Throughout the game, quite a few injuries occurred, specifically Jordan Jones who had to get helped off to the Choctaw sidelines in the second quarter.

The final score ended with the Valdosta State Blazers 62 and the Mississippi College Choctaws 0. The Choctaws fought until the end despite the injuries. Sophomore defensive back, Reggie Bennett had the lead tackles with 10 tackles for the game.

MC knew this would be a tough game for the Choctaws, but they pushed through. The boys will continue to work hard this next week in practice as they head to Melbourne, Fla. for a 1:00 kickoff (ET), 12:00 (CT) against Florida Tech on Saturday, Oct. 25. Listen to Star 93.5 next week to hear your Choctaws in action.