Questions for the DJ

-Anonymous

To help prevent anger or hurt feelings, don’t make fun of other people’s favorite music. People can be deeply connected to music and attach experiential meaning to a song, so it is best not to bash others musical tastes. Also musical tastes can be largely subjective, as style is a personal taste. There are those times, though, when I believe that certain types of music should be addressed and avoided, coming from a Christian point of view. This is not making fun of music; this is evaluating the content in it.

DJ-Turntable

Meaning is found in many places; some where we may not think to look. Songs, of course, have meaning. “Wobble” by V.I.C., a staple song for MC events, is surely part of the Mississippi College experience and part of the culture here. It’s familiar. The beat begs to be danced to, and indeed, it is a catchy song. So what is the meaning of the “Wobble”? Looking at the lyrics, it’s about dancing and having sex. Is an edited version played at MC events? Maybe, I’m not sure.

“Crank Dat Soulja Boy” is another song I have heard played at MC events. What is “Crank Dat Soulja Boy” about? Dancing and… stuff, stuff I don’t want to get into. Once again, I’m not sure whether an edited version is played at events, but does it matter whether they do or not? The meaning is still implied.

I am not making an argument for Christians to only listen to Christian music—far from it. To put it simply, “secular” refers to that which does not deal with God or religious things, so secular music is just music that is not about God or things related to Christianity or religion. The secular is not inherently wrong. The capacity to create music is one of our creative abilities given by God, and can be used in different ways. It can glorify Him whether or not it is about Him. But not all that is secular is glorifying to Him.

When it comes to the content of songs, consider the Song of Solomon, an entire book in the Bible. It includes reference to God, but is primarily a love song between a man and a woman. It also deals with the topics of passion and physical attraction, but in a different way than do the earlier songs mentioned.

Ephesians 5:1-4 says, “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.” The content of a song like the “Wobble” would not pass the test of sexual morality or of cleanliness.

Sexual immorality is dealt with in the Bible, and is prevalent in our culture. What is the proper way to apply these verses? I cannot give a definite answer, but concerning our topic of music, it should at least influence our music choices. Sex is not in itself a dirty topic. Fornication, on the other hand, is a different matter.

God is not to be compartmentalized into one area of our life. He should be infused into all areas, including the music we listen to. The life-giving Gospel should be the container in which our life and our interests are held.

I Corinthians 10:31 says, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” We can eat to the glory of God, we can drink to the glory of God, we can dance to the glory of God, and we can enjoy our lives to the glory of God. Every action in our life is important and meaningful. We can do so much to the glory of God, much of which is enjoying our life with thanksgiving.

Abstaining from the things which displease God is also a way to glorify Him. Is dancing to, listening to, and being comfortable with a message against God’s plan and desire for the purity of His people glorifying to Him?