Choctaw Fest 2014 is like coming home

-Abbie Walker, Editor, and Mary J.C. Segal, Contributing Writer

choctawfest

The Campus Activities Board at Mississippi College invites you to come home. Choctaw Fest, one of MC students’ favorite annual events, will take place on Nov. 8 at 7 p.m. in the Bowl, and this year is all about enjoying the comforts of southern hospitality.

With laidback, folksy music, as well as warm, homemade biscuits and old-fashioned milk cartons, CAB hopes to create a relaxing environment for students to congregate, kick back on a blanket, and forget about classes for a while.

“Choctaw Fest is one of CAB’s favorite annual events,” said CAB member Kaitlin McCarty. “Our goal is to offer events to all types of students and audiences.” McCarty, who has been helping to plan this year’s Choctaw Fest, is proud to say that this event is one of the most unique ones CAB puts on.

The biggest part of Choctaw Fest is the music, and this year’s featured artists include Matt Wertz and John & Jacob.

“As always, we like to have up-and-coming singer/songwriters that will appeal to everyone,” said McCarty. “This year, we can’t wait to welcome John & Jacob, who will be opening for Matt Wertz.”

The scruffy, five-man band of John & Jacob have played at 2014 Bonnaroo, Hangout, Firefly, and the CMA Festival. Between the Chuck Berry-esque guitar riffs, the Beach Boys level balance of fun and chill, and haunting beauty reminiscent of Of Monsters and Men, John & Jacob are sure to be a hit with MC students.

And Matt Wertz’s songs contain an earthy vulnerability that is rare among artists today. McCarty regards Wertz’ music as “original,” “feel-good,” and “cozy.”

So MC students are invited to dress warmly and swing by the Bowl, located by the back patio under the Caf, for this cozy, fall shindig.

“CAB is hoping to provide campus with a laidback event, good music, and a new, yet comfortable twist to one of campus’ favorite annual events,” McCarty said.