MC Cheerleaders to compete once more

-Katy Pirkle, Contributing Writer

cheerleading2

What is classified as a sport?

According to the dictionary, a sport is defined as “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” But there isn’t a solid, singular definition of the word “sport.”

The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it to be a sport at all. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders and competitive ones.

A sport, according to the Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Advisors, is a “physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparison of the relative skills of the participants.” Because cheerleading follows these guidelines, it is considered to be a sport.

We tend to only see the cheerleaders at football games as they help the fans cheer on the Choctaws, but they work hard throughout the week, and we will be seeing a little more of them this year. This 2014-2015 season, the all girls’ cheer team is preparing for their first competition in over 20 years

.cheerleading1

The cheer team, led by head coach Trevor Forbes, has been physically and mentally preparing for competition season by having practices three times a week, including an extreme cross-fit type style workout to warm up and get stronger. They continue the rest of the practice with conditioning and perfecting stunts and tumbling. Forbes says, “I’m really proud of my girls and the effort and hardworking attitudes that they bring to each practice.” Seventeen girls make up the team, ranging from freshmen to seniors. Each girl on the team has either cheered or danced in the past, and they each bring unique fire to the group.

On Nov. 7-9 the team will have professional choreographers come to Mississippi College for an intense choreography camp. This will help prepare the team for the video submission that is due mid-January for competition season. Senior Candice Green said, “I am looking forward to choreography camp so we can really grow as a team and see how hard we can work for something that all of us want.” When the video has been submitted and reviewed by judges, the girls will continue to Daytona Beach, where they will compete against other all-girl squads from across the nation.

Come continue to support athletics with your MC Cheer team as they cheer at the last home football game this season on Saturday, Nov. 8. The girls will also be encouraging the crowd during basketball season next semester.