Office of Global Education celebrates cultures of MC students

-Megan Cole, Reporter

The Office of Global Education’s annual Celebration of Culture is coming up this Thursday, Nov. 6 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Anderson Hall in the B.C. Rodgers Student Building (above the Caf). Countries around the world will be showcased by the international students and missionary kids from Mississippi College’s student body.

unnamed-1

Mississippi College has approximately 377 international students this year. These students range from freshman classification to graduate school students who come to MC to study a large variety of majors. The three major countries MC international students represent include China, Saudi Arabia, and India.

The Celebration of Culture will showcase between 10 to 20 different countries. Eleven countries have been confirmed so far for this event, and there is still time to sign up and join the fun! Last year there were a total of 19 different countries represented.

Various tables will be presenting countries from around the world across Anderson Hall. Picture and movie slides will provide information on each country, and there will be different foods to try from all around the globe. Some students will be dressed in their culture’s customary attire, and others are providing dance numbers as entertainment.

This is a fun event to bring MC’s student body together as one. Students from all cultures can become educated about other countries and the diversity of our campus while trying a few delicious foods along the way.

Christina Bach, OGE’s International Program Coordinator, shared the difficulty international students often face and the significant impact these events have on the student body.

“It is so hard to be in a country so far from home and your family. When American students, faculty, and staff, come to events like this…it makes them feel welcome and appreciated,” said Bach. “Seeing people from all around the world come together and work together makes you feel hopeful.”

Students are invited to come out and join the fun at this year’s Celebration of Culture. There will be a prize drawing for students who manage to visit every table, and the event is completely free. If interested in being a part of this and want to have a table for a country, sign up by emailing cbach@mc.edu.

Don’t forget to follow the Global Office of Education’s Facebook and Twitter for more updates throughout the year, and support MC’s international student life by coming out and staying informed. Other major events coming up include the International Festival on Apr. 10.

Facebook: Mississippi College Office of Global Education

Twitter: @4_OGE