Adventure is here

-Bethani Thomas, Opinions Editor

I have been learning something about myself recently that came to a culmination in the movie “UP”. One of the most remembered quotes from this wonderful film is: “Adventure is out there.” If you google it you’ll see a page picturing the well-known house carried by balloons—because that is adventure. Despite the fact that the movie seems to be about the grand adventure that the protagonist, Carl, leaves his miserable city to find, my favorite part of the movie is what his wife, Ellie, writes to him inside their “Adventure book”.

Carl, feeling like he hasn’t lived up to what Ellie, his late, adventurous wife dreamed for them, picks up their old book that was meant to record all their adventures that they never took. Inside what he thinks is an empty book, Carl reads, “Thanks for the adventure—now go have a new one! Love, Ellie.” He smiles at the realization that they had been having an adventure all along. Through the pain and the struggle of their life together; through their boring 8-5 jobs; through all the times they had to break their travel fund jar to repair their home or pay a bill—they had still had an adventure.

I love adventure. I lived 11 years in a country where every day was unpredictable and adventures were constantly waiting to be had. Freshman through junior year of college were spent searching for it. I had an “adventure group” that explored abandoned buildings and went on camping trips in the middle of the week. Through it all I knew that my life would forever be adventurous; I mean, after all, I’m an adventurous person! I wanted to leave the US immediately after college and travel and do missions out there and experience the different sights and tastes and smells away from here. I wanted to use the popular “#adventure” on all my instagram pictures in order to feel like I had reached some pinnacle of a full life.

But I’m learning now. I’m learning from real life that the ordinary is astonishing.

A quote I read by William Martin says:

“Do not ask your children

to strive for extraordinary lives.

Such striving may seem admirable,

but it is the way of foolishness.

Help them instead to find the wonder

and the marvel of an ordinary life.

Show them the joy of tasting

tomatoes, apples and pears.

Show them how to cry

when pets and people die.

Show them the infinite pleasure

in the touch of a hand.

And make the ordinary come alive for them.

The extraordinary will take care of itself.”

I am finding this to be true, and it was confirmed by “Up”.

This age is so determined to go out and find adventure. Every product uses adventure as their main point of advertisement. We crave to explore the unknown. But I’m learning to appreciate that daily life is the real unknown, and I am constantly excited to see what happens.