Students seek to spread laughs through ‘A Very MC Christmas’

-Cole Angel, contributing writer

‘Tis the season to be goofy, and that’s exactly what a number of Mississippi College students are doing through their involvement in “A Very MC Christmas,” a Christmas album consisting of classic Christmas songs covered by MC students and sung with MC-themed lyrics. The idea came to MC sophomore Benny Warnick after sharing multiple humorous songs with his friends and taking their advice to write similar songs about MC.

“I wrote a couple of trial songs for my friends to get their feedback,” Warnick said. “I wanted to make sure that there would be enough interest before I put a lot of time into the writing process. When my friends saw the lyrics and got a real kick out of them, that inspired me to write the rest of the album.”

The songs are fairly innocent in nature but do poke fun at a lot of hot topics at MC, including mandatory chapel and the “ring before spring” phenomenon. Most of the ideas came from various MC students, with Warnick acting as the driving force behind putting pen to paper. Warnick’s writing process began midway through October and wrapped up shortly before Thanksgiving break. The songs were recorded in makeshift studios set up in participating students’ dorm rooms on campus between the latter half of November and the first week of December.

The album is a collaborative effort involving multiple MC students singing and playing on the tracks. In featuring a variety of voices and playing styles, each song on the album provides a unique take on the popular Christmas songs in more ways than just lyrical changes.

“I think it’s cool how many of the stereotypes and traditions at MC can be put into song, especially during a time like Christmas,” said MC freshman Matt Holman, who sings on a cover of “Do You Hear What I Hear?” called “Do You Hear What Chocs Hear?” “I think MC students will love the humor and the truth behind each and every song.”

Copies of the album will be on sale for $5 each between Dec. 9 and Dec. 16 or until every copy is sold. More copies can be made if enough students wish to purchase the album, but letting designated CD distributors know in advance of intent to purchase a copy will best secure a purchase within the first week of CD sales.

“We’ll make as many copies as we have to,” Warnick said. “We just want to spread a bit of fun and joy this holiday season, and in the spirit of the holidays, we’ll spread it to as many people as we can.”

To reserve a copy of “A Very MC Christmas,” email Benny Warnick at brwarnick@mc.edu or David Welch at tdwelch@mc.edu.