Lighting of the Quad brings Christmas cheer to MC’s campus

-Alexa Jenkins, Copy Editor

The Campus Activities Board welcomed Mississippi College students to a “Candyland Christmas” themed Lighting of the Quad on Dec. 2. Guests were welcomed by CAB members to walk among Christmas trees and through a gingerbread house for cocoa and cookies. This year, for the first time, Lighting of the Quad was hosted as a community event for the city of Clinton, and a large turnout of MC students and Clinton families attended.

LOTQ3

The evening began with a telling of the Christmas story by professors Ivan and Mary Ann Parke, whose lively and truth-filled account was enjoyed by many. They were followed by CAB Chairperson Hunter Sandoval, who took the stage to welcome visitors and explain the various aspects of the event.

CAB has adopted the Lighting of the Quad as a night of philanthropy—a way to give back to the community. A collection of Christmas trees was admired by the guests and donated the next day to the 4 C’s, a local charity that will give the trees to families in need. Students also filled a sleigh with donated t-shirts for the fourth year in a row. These shirts will be sent to a missionary in Nicaragua, who will distribute them as needed. The final way that Lighting of the Quad was used to give back was through their t-shirt sales. Event t-shirts were available for students to purchase, and proceeds were given to the Make-a-Wish foundation.

LOTQ2

In addition to celebrating the act of giving this Christmas, Lighting of the Quad also provided a fun diversion for students as finals week nears. All of MC’s clubs and tribes built gingerbread houses to be voted on by the students. Laguna took first place this year, followed by Civitan in second place and Nenamoosha in third. Guests also enjoyed hot chocolate, cookies, and other sweet treats as they mingled and listened to music provided by a variety of MC musicians.

CAB members Elizabeth Rogers, Jarvis Stampley, and Emily Boyd were recognized at the end of the event for their work putting Lighting of the Quad together. Their efforts are appreciated by many MC students. Several mentioned the tradition that Lighting of the Quad has become throughout their time at MC, and everyone was excited to see the community participate in this MC tradition. Students and families alike enjoyed the opportunity to celebrate with loved ones as the semester and the year nears an end.

LOTQ1