Futral to Speak at Evangelism Lecture

-Megan Cole, Reporter

On Feb. 2-3, the annual Evangelism Lecture will be delivered at Mississippi College. This year, Mississippi College alumnus Rob Futral, the senior pastor at Broadmoor Baptist Church in Madison, Miss., will be the guest speaker.

evangelismlecture

The lecture will begin at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 2 in Anderson Hall East at the B.C. Rogers Student Center and will continue on Tuesday, Feb. 3 at 1:30 p.m. The event will end with a luncheon following the second part of the lecture. All students and staff are invited to attend, listen, and learn as Futral delivers a lecture to further students’ understanding and knowledge of the importance of evangelism. Futral will also be speaking for Mississippi College student chapel on Tuesday, Feb. 3.

Rob Futral graduated from Mississippi College with a bachelor’s degree in Christian Studies. Futral continued his training at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, where he earned both a Master of Divinity with Biblical Languages and a Doctorate in New Testament and Greek. In 2010, Futral also received the Young Alumnus of the Year Award from Mississippi College.

Futral comes from a long family line of ministry. His grandfather, the late Guy Futral, Sr., served as a Baptist preacher, and his father, Jim Futral, is the current executive director-treasurer of the Mississippi Baptist Convention. Futral’s family consists of his wife, Kimandria, and his three children: Trea, Rivers, and Ridge. In 2012, Futral wrote his first book, The Greatest Week in History, in which he studied the Gospel of Luke’s account of the Passion Week.

The MC Christian Studies faculty’s passion for developing and growing Christ-centered lives inspired the Evangelism Lecture many years ago and still acts as its driving force today.

“I like the term ‘Evangelism’ in the title because our main purpose in religion is to reach men for Christ,wrote the Lecture’s founder, George E. Emmett. “Although New Testament and Evangelism are specific entities, background material for this subject covers all of the Bible and religion and there would never be a real limit as to what anyone wished to discuss.”

The fund was created in 1969 by Emmett, who was an anesthetist from Dallas, TX. Emmett led a God-centered life, and that focus was reflected in his decision to name the fund after evangelism rather than himself. He believed that the “better way to name the fund would be to leave the title free of any personality either current [in 1969] or past” and avoided “name[ing] after persons who [were] instrumental in creating” the fund.

The lecture’s history reveals the center of what the Evangelism Lecture is all about: a sole focus on Christ, which the fund will surely seek to maintain in the years to come.