50 Shades of Garbage

-Bethani Thomas, Opinions Editor

“This is not just mainstream porn. This is mainstream bondage porn. And it’s coming to a theater near you just in time for Valentine’s Day.” – J. Lee Grady from charismanews.com

Before I begin this very strong opinion regarding the series “50 Shades of Grey” by E. L. James, along with the upcoming premier of the film, directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson, I want to convey my purpose for doing so.

I am in no way better than anyone who has read this book or want to go see the movie. I am in no way trying to condemn you or point at you and say you are wrong or messed up. I am simply lifting a sign of warning to all of you who may be going, as well as trying to raise awareness to those who aren’t necessarily in the know (for good reason) about the movie coming out.

BDSM is a term that describes a community of people involved in sexual practices that include bondage/discipline, dominance/submission, and sadism/masochism. Participators in this normally connect power and humiliation with pleasure. There is evidence that says BDSM stems from a past in childhood abuse. And this is what the protagonist in the poorly written, plot-driven, erotica novel “50 Shades of Grey” suffers from.

Christian Grey is an attractive, successful male who seduces a 21-year-old college senior, Anastasia (or Ana) Steele into signing a sexually explicit contract to participate in BDSM with him. He tells her of his past in which he had a “submissive” sexual role to a woman at age 15. That is sexual child abuse. He then goes on to reveal that ever since that “relationship” he has been addicted to similar play, except that now he has the power to be submitted to.

Social scientist Amy E. Bonomi published a study regarding the books in which she proved that every interaction between Ana and Christian were emotionally abusive in nature, including stalking, intimidation, and isolation. In part of the contract he even insisted on monitoring what she ate on a daily basis.

I will tell you now that this book scares me. The fact that it is based almost entirely on sex scenes that are telling the world that sexual bondage and violent, non-romantic relationships are exciting, has sold more than 100 million copies around the world, been translated into 52 languages, and is now hitting the big screens on Valentine’s Day is revolting to me.

Hollywood Reporter forecasts a $45 million debut of the movie, which is right there next to what Interstellar made the first weekend it appeared. The director, Taylor-Johnson told reporters that it is not as “graphically explicit” as some are expecting from reading the book, and therefore does not actually, “[go into] the realm of pornography.”

I hate to break it to you all, but this is pornography.

We live in a very scary world where ISIS are murdering daily and gaining power, the Boko Harem are raping women and children and gaining territory, and so I wonder if this movie is really worth the fuss. But right now I’m going to argue that it is. Christians on this campus fight for the End It movement to end sexual slavery around the world, which is a valid fight that I completely support. But I will say with confidence right now, pornography is the industry behind sex trafficking—and sadly, pornography will be shown on Valentine’s Day just up the road from our little world and that is a big deal.

Is that what love is? The women and girls going to view this movie hoping to get a little excitement from the danger portrayed in the relationship—is this their ideal match? A man who ties them up with zip-ties and rope and whips their backs in his “play room” so that he can get the pleasure he wants from a feeling of physical power. He is a coward! And I hope and pray earnestly that you who read this would see through the lies and perversion this book and movie declare. Sexual relationships—and relationships in general—are meant to be beautiful and balanced and nurturing for growth. Love is not hurtful and emotionally or physically painful.

1 Corinthians 13:5-8

“Love is not arrogant or rude, it does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails…”

If you are reading this and are involved in a risky relationship or know someone who is, please tell someone. Or if you regularly view pornography and are ready to be done with its filth, please tell someone. We have people on this campus, teachers and ministers, who want to help the students here on this campus. There is a counseling center free for anyone who struggles with an addiction of any sort.

But more importantly, there is a Savior who exhibits the kind of love in the Scripture passage above. His love never fails and is unending. If you do not know this love please ask someone. I would love to talk to anyone and answer any of your questions regarding my Savior’s love for me, and what a better time to find out about it than Valentine’s Day week? His love is so real and honest, and I’ll tell you now, it is truly exciting.

A few articles included in the discussion: “The 3 most dangerous lies promoted by 50 Shades of Grey” written by Matt Fradd on lifesitenews.com.,

“Let’s call 50 Shades what it is: perverted” by J. Lee Grady on charismanews.com, and Washington Post’s “The 50 Shades of Grey movie: what we know and what we don’t know.”