Derby Week 2015

-Tiffany Babb, Contributing Writer

“Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Derby” will be the theme for this year’s Derby Week, which will take place from Mar. 16-21. The week will include a relay race, a dodge ball tournament, an inflatable jousting competition, a service project, and Derby Day, which will be on the Quad on Saturday, Mar. 21. Anyone is welcome to come and view the events. However, only club and tribe members are permitted to participate. The purpose of Derby week is to help clubs and tribes engage in friendly competition, spirit, and service to the community.

These events will vary in location depending on what event is taking place. McCarty said, “Proceeds from the ticket sales to view the dodge ball tournament will be donated to Make-a-Wish. Derby week t-shirts sold by the council during that week will also be donated to Make-a-Wish.”

unnamed-1

So you think you can dance? On Mar. 16 at 9 p.m. in Swor Auditorium, club and tribe members will have an opportunity to show off their moves in the annual competition known as Swerve. This competition is designed to showcase choreography, creativity, and dance ability. There will be three winners, which include best tribe, best club, and an overall winner. This year seven groups will be competing. These include Swannanoa, Kissimmee, Laguna, Nenamoosha, Shawreth, Kokoa, and Civitan. Clubs and tribes break up into teams for their activities and each of these teams represents a philanthropy that the team members will be donating to if they win the overall award.

In addition, all of the proceeds of the ticket sales will automatically be given to the winning team’s philanthropy. Tickets will go on sale the week of Mar. 16, during lunch in the Caf. The presale price for the tickets is $5 and $7 at the door. Swor holds 800 guests and tickets will be sold until seating is no longer available.

unnamed-2

Dannie Woods, Assistant Director of Student Life for Student Activities, said, “I think Swerve is a great tradition on MC’s campus. Each year student dances highlight how great our students are, as well as diversity among different groups.”

CAB member Kaitlyn McCarty said, “Swerve is a fun, MC-centered, competitive night that is a good time for audience members and participants alike. It is a chance for the various social organizations to showcase their creativity in dance, costuming, music selection, and choreography winners will be determined by a panel of skilled judges.”

Woods added, “I am always excited to see it all come together each year.”

So after spring break, come out and enjoy the many events that will be a part of MC’s annual spring tradition—Derby Week.

unnamed-3