Symphonic winds concert to be an emotional and entertaining performance

– Megan Cole, Reporter

Mississippi College’s concert band, Symphonic Winds, will be performing for their spring tour on Tuesday, Mar. 3. All students, faculty, and staff are invited to come and enjoy the emotion-packed performance at 7:30 p.m. in Swor Auditorium. The event will showcase a variety of pieces from different symphonies and evoke a wide spectrum of emotion from listeners.

Music is something that can strike us in a way nothing else can. There is something about a sweet melody or a fast-paced beat that can open up some of the deepest parts of our soul and elicit unforeseen emotions.

According to Craig Young, Director of Band Activities at Mississippi College, this performance will put the audience through “lots of emotions” and is “all over the place.” From foreboding feelings, to excitement, peace, and joy, this symphony brings it all through the students’ talents.

“The show has students soloing all over the place,” Young proudly shared while describing a Memphis Blues piece called “Way Down Yonder in New Orleans.”

“This song really lets the students show their skills through a second-line New Orleans-Style beat.” “Slidin’ Down The Mississippi” is another Southern-themed song showcasing student solos.

“I am looking forward to seeing how all of our hard work the past couple months will pay off,” shared trumpet player Courtney Morgan, sophomore and Christian Studies major.

On the darker end of the spectrum, “March to The Scaffold” by Hector Berlioz will be performed. Young believes the piece is meant to be ominous “but exciting.” The song features a story about a man marching to his death within his own imagination.

One of the concert’s faster-paced songs is “Short Cut Home” which evokes excitement, and, according to Morgan, is rather advanced.

“I’m super excited about ‘Shortcut Home.’ It is another piece that we’re doing that is very technical,” stated Morgan.

On the lighter side, there are two hymn-based tunes and a song of prayer included in the performance. “Give Us This Day” by David Maslanka deals with the reconciliation of the Christian people to the whole world.

Young believes that the song moves from “joy to sadness” and includes “all of the things any good symphony would have.”

A symphonic rendition of “It is Well With My Soul” and another hymn, written by one of MC’s own, will be performed.

The second hymn piece is from James Sclater, MC’s professor emeritus. Young shared that the piece is based on “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.”

“The song is pure joy,” noted Young. “And really the emotional content of the show is quite something. It’s gonna be a great show, I hope everyone comes!”