Where Your Education Ranks

-Stacey Chisolm, Contributing Writer

Britt Dickens knows education. Dickens is an associate professor here at Mississippi College with 38 years of experience in the field. He has held the positions of a teacher, administrator, consultant, and professor. In regards to Mississippi’s rank in education, MC’s rank among colleges and universities, and the United States’ rank among nations, Dickens said, “I’m not sure where the actual rank of the school stands. For what it’s worth, I do know that U.S. News and World Report lists MC among ‘America’s Best Colleges,’ and it is listed among the Barron’s 300 best buys in addition to the New York Times Best Buys in College, and the Templeton Foundation.”

Despite Mississippi’s current national ranking of 52nd in education in the K-12 area, Mississippi College is among the best colleges in the southern region. It ranks 29th, to be exact.

Dickens said, “I think Mississippi College has a deservedly high regard in the college community. What it does, it seems to do well. I believe we do a good job of preparing our students. We are far from perfect, and we have our shortcomings like everyone else; however, MC has a dedicated, experienced faculty that tries to balance the education of the students with the classroom and practical experience.”

A number of MC graduate students that are currently enrolled in the education concentration have insisted that they chose Mississippi College because it had a great program and much to offer. They say the work is sometimes overwhelming, yet beneficial to growing an individual’s employability outcome.

As for rankings among nations, the country varies in many areas. According to the Institute of Education Sciences, The United States ranked 9th among 42 nations in mathematics and science and 6th among 45 nations in reading. When investigated by Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) in 2012, the United States among 34 OECD countries ranked 27th in mathematics and 17th in reading. Based on these facts, the United States education system will obtain more effective adult outcomes than any other nation within 30 nations as is cited by the Organization for Cooperation.