Chenoa: MC’s Newest Social Tribe

-Megan Cole, Reporter 

For the first time in over 50 years a new tribe is being created on Mississippi College’s campus. Chenoa will be MC’s 5th tribe. The group began to take shape in Fall 2014, when MC administration contacted a group of students, stating that a new tribe was in order, that “everyone on campus needs a place.”

After the Rush process last fall, all four tribes (Laguna, Nenemoosha, Kissimmee, and Swannanoa) were less than ten people away from being full and having to turn girls away. With MC’s population steadily growing, the social tribes on campus are needing to expand as well.

“I think this will have a positive impact on the student body during the General Rush process because it will provide an additional option for our new female students with another unique community to consider as they walk through the General Rush process,” Dannie Woods, assistant director of student life for Student Activities, detailed. As the student body population continues to rise each year, having a new tribe on campus is a “much needed addition…to better accommodate our students.”

Chenoa

“It is also exciting to watch, considering a new tribe has not been added since the 1950’s and our campus has grown considerably since then, so I would say were long overdue,” Woods added.

Mary Ann McCarty, sophomore Christian studies major, will be Chenoa’s charter president. Elizabeth Langford and Aimee Bals will be the vice presidents.

“I see the purpose of a new tribe and its opportunity,” McCarty said. “There’s a great need for this on our growing and thriving campus; it’s simply time to have a new one.”

But in order to have a new tribe, there have to be members, and Chenoa has started the process of acquiring girls who want to be a part of the group. “Anybody can join, any girl on campus. We need people to build a tribe and get it going,” McCarty explained, concerning the new development.

On Apr. 10, the new tribe held a confirmation meeting to secure their group of charter members. This group includes girls from other tribes who have decided to transfer their membership, as well as independents who have decided to join. Following the meeting of charter members and MC’s official approval of the tribe, Chenoa will be an official part of MC’s Council of tribes and clubs beginning in the fall of 2015. Incoming freshman will now have the option of rushing Chenoa.

Chenoa’s official colors are lavender and gray, and their official mascot is the fox. The tribe coined its name “chenoa” because it is a Native American name that fits well with the other tribes. “We wanted a name that is simple, feminine, and easy to say,” shared McCarty.

“Chenoa means, ‘like dove’ but it really has the idea of being creative and expressing yourself.” McCarty said the tribe will center on the “uniqueness” of every girl. “Every girl will come with unique gifts and we can all learn from each other.”

This is reflected in the tribe’s Bible verse, Romans 12:4-6: “For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith.”

Chenoa’s official symbol is the puzzle piece. “Everyone in Chenoa will be important, every piece is an important piece of the puzzle,” explained McCarty.

The tribe’s motto is “to thrive joyfully as one community.” This can be seen through the tribe’s purpose, “to be a sisterhood of women who live in abundant life through community, service, discipleship, and joy.”

“We are truly excited about campus growing and creating a place for girls to get involved and build relationships with lots of people. We are excited for Chenoa!”