Dear Miss Collegian… My roommate is driving me crazy!

Dear Miss Collegian,

My roommate is driving me crazy! She borrows my clothes, takes way too long in the shower in the morning (and we are in East, so I have to wait), and her side of the room is always messy. She even leaves food from the Caf out on her desk overnight! She transferred in so we’ve only been roommates since January, and I know that the semester is almost done, but I’m not sure I can last the next month. She was really nice and considerate when she first moved in, but after Spring Break, she just sort of snapped and has no concern for my personal things or our space. I’m not sure I should talk to my RA because I don’t want to make it any more awkward than it already is and I’m pretty sure that it’s too late to switch rooms since the year is almost up. I try to talk to her about it, but she just leaves the room and doesn’t come back until I’m gone or in bed. What do I do?!

-Really Frustrated Roomie

Dear Frustrated Roommate,

First of all I’d like to say that I understand completely what you are going through and you are definitely not alone in this. I struggled with a difficult roommate my freshman year as well. I would say that it is probably too late to ask to switch roommates because there is only a month left. The main thing I learned freshman year is that communication is key. The next time you are both in the room together, I would sit down with her and ask if you two can discuss some things that have been bothering you. I know confrontation is difficult sometimes, but it definitely is worth it once you express your concerns and are able to come to a solution.

If she doesn’t want to talk about it and avoids the situation all together, just know that you did try and you did the best you could. And there is only less than a month left so just sticking it out the rest of the way would be the best option right now. If it gets worse, I would talk to the RA and see what can be done. I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully things will get better with your roommate, and if not, now you know what to look for in your future roommate next year! It’s definitely a learning experience that everyone goes through in college.

Best of luck,

Miss Collegian