Arts & Entertainment

7 Gifts to Make Mom Happy this Mother’s Day

-Alexa Jenkins, Copy Editor

Everyone knows the old saying: “If momma ain’t happy, nobody’s happy.” No matter how true this is for your family, there’s no denying that any mother (or grandmother or mother-figure) loves being appreciated any day of the year. Thankfully for college students, someone marked a day on the calendar so we have no excuse not to give Mom some attention. This year Mother’s Day is on May 10, right after finals are over, so you need to plan ahead. If you’re stumped, here are some ideas.

1. A Gift Basket. This one is awesome, because gift baskets are inexpensive, easy to make, and the possibilities are endless. There are lots of cool ideas on Pinterest (which is not just for girls), such as a Spa Day basket with lotion and candles, a Movie Night basket with a DVD and popcorn—so many ideas.
  2. Sharpie Mugs. If you’re a little on the artistic side, decorating custom mugs for your mom is another fun, affordable way to make her day.
  3. This Downton Abbey scented candle. Because moms love candles, and moms love Downton Abbey. There is no way to go wrong if you buy this for her. (Found in your local Books-a-Million or wherever fictional-tea-scented candles are sold.)
  4. Manicure/Pedicure/Massage. This was my mom’s pick when I asked her for ideas. She also said highlights…then said that one highlight might be all a college student could afford. So there’s that.
  5. Anything made out of a mason jar. Seriously, we are talking candles, flower vases, or even a genius combination of a gift basket inside a mason jar.
  6. A good book. Everyone can use a good read. Bonus points if you’ve read the book and can discuss it with your mom. Double bonus points if you write her a heartfelt note inside. Triple bonus points if you go big and buy her a Kindle.
  7. Your undying love. Yes. You should most certainly buy and make gifts for your mom, and you should appreciate her on Mother’s Day in particular. But more than that, you should make sure that she knows you love her – everyday.

MothersDay