Larry Logue says goodbye to MC to pursue writing a history book

-Mary Holland, contributing writer

“My roommate freshman year told me to make sure and take Logue for history. I never really cared too much for history until I took Dr. Logue’s class. I had never heard history told like a story with a cause and effect, good guys and bad guys, and ideas or motives that would drive people or a whole society to act a certain way. Dr. Logue encouraged us as students to ask questions and connect the dots of the past. His class taught me how to be a better student by thinking critically and always asking why. I soon found the beauty and importance of history in relation to both the past and present.”

“Dr. Logue is one of the reasons I became a history major,” said Glyn Holden. “His class helped me to realize how much I love history.” Another previous student of Logue, Ashlyn DeLisle, said, “I really liked Dr. Logue’s class because he told it like it was a story, not just names and dates to remember. I could understand why everything happened instead of just memorizing a bunch of facts.”

Larry Logue began teaching at Mississippi College in 1997, and after being a faculty member for 18 years, he will be leaving MC in Fall 2015 in order to conduct research for a book that he will be writing at Syracuse University in Syracuse, N.Y. Logue will be conducting the research with the head of the research institute at Syracuse. “I’m going to produce a book about post-traumatic stress among Civil War veterans,” said Logue. “It’s a very timely topic.”

“I have a good, stimulating challenge ahead of me,” he added. “But I’ll miss the daily stimulation of teaching. It’s very rewarding to teach in front of a classroom day to day.”

Kirk Ford, professor of history and political science at Mississippi College, was the chair of the history department when Logue first became a teacher at Mississippi College. “His teaching ability in the classroom of course has been evident since day one,” said Ford. “But, we appreciate the fact that he is a very strong defender of academic freedom, academic integrity and rigor in the classroom. The department has certainly profited from that.”

“It’s been great,” said Logue, reflecting on his time at Mississippi College. “I have had really good colleagues, really good students, a lot of good times, and good memories. I’ve at least tried to make a difference here, to make students glad that they came here and encourage them to think about things new and challenging.”

“It’s always bittersweet,” he continued. “I’m going to miss a lot of people and a place where I feel like I have a kind of family.”

“In so many ways he made a positive contribution to the department and he will be greatly missed by all of us,” said Ford.