Eric Clark to speak at Graduation

-Megan Cole, Reporter

Eric Clark, former Secretary of State, will be speaking at Mississippi College’s graduation ceremonies on May 9 at the A.E. Wood Coliseum. There will be two ceremonies for the undergraduate students, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Clark previously served 12 years as Secretary of State, in addition to sixteen years as a member of the Mississippi Legislature. As of January 2008, Clark currently serves as Executive Director of the Mississippi Community College Board.

According to Mississippi College president Lee Royce, this position, as well as other accomplishments, make him a primary candidate to speak for the commencement ceremonies this year.

Clark attended Jones County Junior College and received a bachelor’s degree from Millsaps College in Jackson. He obtained a master’s degree from the University of Mississippi, and a doctorate in History from Mississippi State University. In addition, Clark has taught history and government at Jones County Junior College, Belhaven University and our very own Mississippi College.

Other accomplishments include being awarded with the American Family Association’s “God and Country” honors, as well as authoring the law which outlawed the possession of child pornography in the state of Mississippi.

Clark is also recognized for his action in preserving natural lands on the Gulf Coast, and was given the Mississippi Wildlife Federation’s Conservation Legislator of the Year award. He was awarded twice for the Mississippi Nature Conservancy’s Public Service award.

“I asked him to speak because he is a very prominent educator in this state supervising the community college system, taught history here, and as a Baptist will well represent MC,” shared Royce.

Clark is married to Karran, who grew up in Durant and Forest, Mississippi. They have two children, Charles and Catherine. Clarke and his family are currently active members of First Baptist Church in Jackson.

To the graduates, Royce also has some parting words of wisdom.

“I would remind them to live out Proverbs 3:5-6, pray for MC, and come back to see us,” Royce shared.

(Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV)

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
References: http://www.sbcjc.cc.ms.us/aboutus/welcome.aspx