How To College

Ayanna Bloom, Contributing Writer

College can be tough, especially as a new or transfer student. A person has just spent the last fours years in high school or maybe the last two at a different college. Being thrown into a big pond of new people can feel lonely. How do you make new friends? What clubs and activities should you join? What are the cafeteria hours?

These questions and plenty of others come to mind on a new campus. For the students who are used to MC, getting adjusted every semester isn’t so hard. They know to join a tribe, participate in the many events, and just have fun.

Seems simple enough, but to Kaley Montgomery, a junior transfer student, MC was a little nerve-wracking. “I don’t know anyone here and I’ve already gotten lost a few times. People are friendly though so I know it will be easy for me to get involved,” said Montgomery.

However, you don’t have to let MC or any college intimidate you. There are plenty of people who are willing and want to help you get adjusted. Dannie Woods, director of student engagement, is one of the many people on campus that can steer you in the right direction.

“I think as a new student the best way to get involved and be informed is by participating in Welcome Week and all the activities involved. After Welcome Week I think it is important to get out of your comfort zone and meet new people as much as you can,” said Woods.

While she believes that getting involved outside of the classroom helps students have a better college experience, she also believes time management is important. “One of the biggest lessons you learn your first year in college is time management, what it means to get your work done while making the most of what campus has to offer. It is definitely a skill that must be mastered in order to be successful and thrive as a college student,” said Woods.

Never overthink college. Although you may be new and feeling out of place, chances are you aren’t the only one. As a former freshman and transfer student, here are some tips to help you learn how to enjoy your college experience.

Don’t stay locked up in your room.

The best way to make friends is to get out of your dorm room. Besides your roommate, the other people living in your dorm could be potential friends. If you aren’t living on campus, then try to be on campus as much as possible. Don’t just go straight home.

Join a social club or tribe.

As you may know, MC doesn’t have sororities or fraternities. There are quite a few tribes and clubs to choose from, and they are a great way to meet new people and be involved in awesome events.

Read the flyers.

Flyers around campus aren’t just for decoration. Flyers can offer great information about what’s happening on campus. Reading these are a good way to stay in the loop, as well as learn about lessons or services that other people are offering.

Try not to skip class.

This is a tough one, especially if you’re staying on campus. You no longer have your parents making sure you attend class, which means sleeping in and skipping is a lot easier. Try to avoid this because the more you do it the more it will become a bad habit.

Study and keep up with assignments.

Studying is key to passing tests and this is where friends come in handy. Make friends in your classes that have good study habits and like to study in groups. Also, if you happen to miss a day, they can update you on what you missed.

When in doubt, just ask someone.

Whether it’s a fellow student, professor, or faculty member don’t be afraid to speak up and ask questions. If you don’t understand something or don’t know where you’re going there is always someone who can help you out. Don’t think professors aren’t up to date too. Chances are your professors know about different events or clubs you can participate in if you just ask.

Finally, to keep up with what’s going on don’t forget to look at the calendar or the Student Life tab on the MC website.