College Republicans at a Glance

February 16, 2016

College Republicans, as an organization in Mississippi, has had a rich history in our state’s political system for decades. Since 1969, College Republican chapters from across the state have worked to elect strong conservative leaders to bring new ideas to the table after years of Democratic control. College Republicans at Mississippi College is one of nine chapters that are a part of the Mississippi Federation of College Republicans (MFCR). The MFCR serves as the senior organization for College Republican chapters across the state and is celebrated its 48th anniversary as an organization on Feb. 13 at their annual convention. Each year, delegates are sent to convention to elect new leaders, listen to numerous speakers, attend breakout sessions, and plan for the upcoming year.

College Republicans at MC provides numerous opportunities for students on campus. Whether it be an internship, networking opportunities, campaign work, or even community service projects, the College Republicans at MC have a variety of ways for students to get involved in our political system. The main purpose of the organization is to get students on campus involved in the political process and engage them in a way that challenges students to understand why they identify as a republican. The club’s goal is to register students to vote, educate them on Republican policies, and create an environment in which students can grow and build from the opportunities that we offer.

The MC College Republican Chairman is James Tulp, who has done a tremendous job along with his Executive Board to expand the club’s reach on campus and on social media and host events that will engage students and get them excited about being a Republican on campus. The MC College Republicans had a busy fall semester campaigning for statewide and local officials to bring a Republican victory in 2015. This semester has started out busy and successful with meetings every other Wednesday night at 9:15 p.m. In Nelson 311. For this semester, the College Republicans have numerous restaurant nights, a debate, voter registration drives, debate watch parties, and speakers planned, and the group is looking forward to a great semester.
-Hunter Foster, Contributing Writer

this article appeared in Vol. 97, Issue 8 of The Mississippi Collegian