Residence Life Announces Changes for Fall 2016

February 16, 2016

There will be many changes in MC Residence Life for the upcoming 2016-2017 school year. Residence Life sent out an email to all students on Feb. 1, telling of the new changes that would be made to the university’s housing.  For freshman, the changes include the moving of freshman males to Hederman and Whittington. This means that for the first time in many years, freshman males will no longer call Chrestman home. Although the demographics of Chrestman have changed, senior Jerry Ainsworth will still remember his time in the hall. “It fosters community among male students. I met some of my best friends there,” said Ainsworth. For freshman girls, there is not much changing apart from the addition of Gunter to the list of housing options.

Most of the changes will affect upperclassmen and transfer students. For the males, the housing options will include, University Place, College Plaza, New Men’s, and Ratliff. Females will choose among University Place, College Place, West Tower, Latimer-Webb, and Chrestman.

Hederman will no longer house upperclassman women in need of a private room. These rooms will be fewer and farther between, as they will now be available in Latimer Webb for the female students and Ratliff for male students.

The new housing changes are just the beginning of the plans Residence Life has in store for the new school year. The department is also working to bring each aspect of housing closer together to better suit the needs of on-campus students. The department is working to establish three initiatives for the different areas of housing. There will be a Freshman Experience Initiative, an Upperclassmen Experience Initiative, and an Apartment Experience Initiative. Each new area will bring new opportunities that are catered specifically toward each student demographic.  

Residence Life is making great strides to find the most fitting housing arrangements for the coming years. “MC is growing exponentially, which is great news! The Res Life staff have done their job by trying to figure out the best way to house all the residents, and it’s best if we understand that they know what they’re doing and that we need to trust and rely on their decisions,” Rowan St John, the Vice President of SGA.
As MC begins preparing for the new school year, the student body can look forward to the changes that will bring about improvements to all areas of residence life and get excited for the future.

-Emily Greer, News Editor

this article appeared in Vol. 97, Issue 8 of The Mississippi Collegian